Optimal Harvesting Of Forest Age Classes: A Survey Of Some Recent Results
AbstractDynamic optimization problems with vintage or age class structures involve complexities that are not encountered in economic models with fewer state variables. These problems have been faced for centuries in forest harvesting decisions, and the earliest ideas for tackling them date from the early 15th century. However, only recently has the harvesting problem with multiple age classes been specified in a form that is fruitful for economic analysis. This survey discusses some of the main properties of the nonlinear discrete time forestry model, which has proven to be tractable in analytical studies and has been used in empirical policy-oriented research. It is shown that the model's stationary state is represented by a set of cyclic solutions and that the maximum radius of the cycle depends on the period length applied in the model specification. The result suggests that it is essential to note that implications of using continuous or discrete variables in specifying time and age structure in age class models with economic optimization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Mathematical Population Studies.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GMPS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Angels Xabadia & Renan U. Goetz, 2008.
"The Optimal Selective Logging Regime and the Faustmann Formula,"
353, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Xabadia, Angels & Goetz, Renan U., 2010. "The optimal selective logging regime and the Faustmann formula," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 63-82, January.
- Viitala, Esa-Jussi, 2006. "An early contribution of Martin Faustmann to natural resource economics," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 131-144, June.
- Silvia Faggian & Giorgio Fabbri & Giuseppe Freni, 2013. "On the Mitra--Wan Forest Management Problem in Continuous Time," Working Papers 2013:28, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Adriana Piazza, 2009. "The optimal harvesting problem with a land market: a characterization of the asymptotic convergence," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 113-138, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.