Exports and economic growth in Bangladesh
AbstractThis study investigates the effect of exports on economic growth in Bangladesh, based on a two-sector growth model. Using annual data for the period 1961-92, the article estimates an Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedastic model of economic growth, which is found to capture the volatility of the Bangladesh economy. The results suggest that an increase in the share of investment in GDP significantly increases the growth rate of GDP in normal years, but negligibly increases GDP growth in abnormal years. Abnormalities in the economy arise from war, political turmoil and natural disasters. The key finding is that export growth has significantly increased economic growth through its positive impact on total factor productivity in the economy. The contribution of exports to economic growth was more pronounced during 1982-90 when the government pursued a policy of trade liberalisation and structural reform, and political turmoil was not persistent. This finding is not sensitive to the choice of the model or the estimation technique.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 35 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saima Siddiqui & Sameena Zehra & Sadia Majeed & Muhammad Sabihuddin Butt, 2008. "Export-Led Growth Hypothesis in Pakistan: A Reinvestigation Using the Bounds Test," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 13(2), pages 59-80, Jul-Dec.
- Maryam Asghari, 2012. "Environmental Kuznets Curve and Growth Source in Iran," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(5), pages 609-623, December.
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dawson, P.J., 2006. "The export-income relationship and trade liberalisation in Bangladesh," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 889-896, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.