An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education
AbstractEducational institutions worldwide are increasingly the subject of analyses aimed at defining, measuring and improving efficiency. However, despite the importance of efficiency measurement in education, it is only relatively recently that the more advanced econometric and mathematical programming frontier techniques have been applied to primary and secondary schools, university departments and degree programmes, and universities as a whole. This paper attempts to provide a synoptic survey of the comparatively few empirical analyses in education using frontier efficiency measurement techniques. Both the measurement of inefficiency in education and the determinants of educational efficiency are examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Education Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duncombe, William & Miner, Jerry & Ruggiero, John, 1997. " Empirical Evaluation of Bureaucratic Models of Inefficiency," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 93(1-2), pages 1-18, October.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- G. Johnes & J. Johnes, .
"Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
ec17/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 1993. "Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(2), pages 332-47, April.
- Johnes, Jill & Johnes, Geraint, 1995. "Research funding and performance in U.K. University Departments of Economics: A frontier analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 301-314, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Barrow, Michael M., 1991. "Measuring local education authority performance: A frontier approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 19-27, March.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- A. Bessent & W. Bessent & J. Kennington & B. Reagan, 1982. "An Application of Mathematical Programming to Assess Productivity in the Houston Independent School District," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(12), pages 1355-1367, December.
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage & Steven Kemp, 1997. "Measuring Public Sector Efficiency: A Study of Economics Departments at Australian Universities," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 153-168.
- Haksever Cengiz & Muragishi Yuki, 1998. "Measuring Value in MBA Programmes," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 11-25.
- Pritchett, Lant & Filmer, Deon, 1999. "What education production functions really show: a positive theory of education expenditures," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 223-239, April.
- David Mayston, . "Educational Attainment and Resource Use: Mystery or Econometric Misspecification," Discussion Papers 96/17, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Ruggiero, John, 1996. "On the measurement of technical efficiency in the public sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 553-565, May.
- Bonesronning, Hans & Rattso, Jorn, 1994. "Efficiency variation among the Norwegian High Schools: Consequences of equalization policy," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 289-304.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Smith, Peter & Mayston, David, 1987. "Measuring efficiency in the public sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 181-189.
- Beasley, J. E., 1990. "Comparing university departments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 171-183.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Chalos, Peter & Cherian, Joseph, 1995. "An application of data envelopment analysis to public sector performance measurement and accountability," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 143-160.
- Sengupta, Jati K. & Sfeir, Raymond E., 1986. "Production frontier estimates of scale in public schools in California," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 297-307, June.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- Deller, Steven C. & Rudnicki, Edward, 1993. "Production efficiency in elementary education: The case of Maine public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-57, March.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.