Measuring the Research Performance of Chinese Higher Education Institutions: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis
AbstractUtilizing data from 84 key Chinese higher education institutions, the present study attempts to examine the effectiveness of the Education Reform implemented in the mid-1980s in China. With focus on the research performance of the institutions, individual institution efficiency is computed by the method of data envelopment analysis. Regional differences in the efficiency of institutions are also addressed. It is found that research performance of institutions across regions has improved, although the institutions as a whole have remained inefficient from 1993 to 1995. Institutions located in the East region turn out to have out-performed those in the Central and the West regions. In addition, the decomposition of the group efficiency measure indicates that, for the 3 years under study, the 84 key institutions suffered from technical, allocative and reallocative inefficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Education Economics.
Volume (Year): 8 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 1993.
"Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 45(2), pages 332-47, April.
- G. Johnes & J. Johnes, . "Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Working Papers ec17/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Johnes, Geraint, 1988. "Determinants of research output in economics departments in British universities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 171-178, June.
- Cooper, Samuel T. & Cohn, Elchanan, 1997. "Estimation of a frontier production function for the South Carolina educational process," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 313-327, June.
- Beasley, J. E., 1990. "Comparing university departments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 171-183.
- Connolly, Laura S., 1997. "Does external funding of academic research crowd out institutional support?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 389-406, June.
- Deller, Steven C. & Rudnicki, Edward, 1993. "Production efficiency in elementary education: The case of Maine public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-57, March.
- Johnes, Jill & Johnes, Geraint, 1995. "Research funding and performance in U.K. University Departments of Economics: A frontier analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 301-314, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Antreas Athanassopoulos & Estelle Shale, 1997. "Assessing the Comparative Efficiency of Higher Education Institutions in the UK by the Means of Data Envelopment Analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 117-134.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Johnes, Geraint, 1992. "Performance Indicators in Higher Education: A Survey of Recent Work," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 19-34, Summer.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage & Steven Kemp, 1997. "Measuring Public Sector Efficiency: A Study of Economics Departments at Australian Universities," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 153-168.
- Ville, Simon & Valadkhani, Abbas & O'Brien, Martin, 2005. "The Distribution of Research Performance Across Australian Universities, 1992-2003, and Its Implications for Higher Education Funding Models," Economics Working Papers wp05-26, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Angel García Correas & Manuel Larran Jorge, 2010. "Análisis de diferentes medidas de la eficiencia investigadora y factores explicativos en las universidades públicas españolas," Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación volume 5, in: María Jesús Mancebón-Torrubia & Domingo P. Ximénez-de-Embún & José María Gómez-Sancho & Greg (ed.), Investigaciones de Economía de la Educación 5, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 36, pages 703-732 Asociación de Economía de la Educación.
- Tzeremes, Nickolaos & Halkos, George, 2010. "A DEA approach for measuring university departments’ efficiency," MPRA Paper 24029, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martín Rivero, Raquel, 2007. "La eficiencia productiva en el ámbito universitario: aspectos claves para su evaluación/The Productive Efficiency in the University: Key Aspects for its Evaluation," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 793-812, Diciembre.
- Valadkhani, Abbas & Worthington, Andrew, 2005. "Ranking and Clustering Australian University Research Performance, 1998-2002," Economics Working Papers wp05-19, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Susanne Warning, 2004. "Performance Differences in German Higher Education: Empirical Analysis of Strategic Groups," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 04-09, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.