Ntt Sandalwood: Roots Of Disaster
AbstractFor decades the government of Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT) province has exploited the sandalwood sector, to the detriment of the growers of the trees. Severe depletion of the stock of sandalwood in the province has been the result. This paper documents NTT policies toward the sector, which it argues have been both inefficient and inequitable, and offers a detailed approach for reform. It also examines the political economy of these policies, and argues that the case of sandalwood provides an example of the dangers of decentralisation of economic authority in the absence of local democracy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CBIE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bowes, Michael D. & Krutilla, John V., 1985. "Multiple use management of public forestlands," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 12, pages 531-569 Elsevier.
- James A. Brander & M. Scott Taylor, 1997.
"International Trade and Open-Access Renewable Resources: The Small Open Economy Case,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 526-52, August.
- James A. Brander & M. Scott Taylor, 1995. "International Trade and Open Access Renewable Resources: The Small Open Economy Case," NBER Working Papers 5021, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1976. "Economics of Forestry in an Evolving Society," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(4), pages 466-92, December.
- Just, Richard E & Schmitz, Andrew & Zilberman, David, 1979. "Price Controls and Optimal Export Policies under Alternative Market Structures," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 706-14, September.
- Meirelles, Patricia & Rodriguez, Catherine, 2010.
"Devolution and Accountability Effects in the Public Provision of Water Services in Indonesia,"
Documentos CEDE Series
107395, Universidad de Los Andes, Economics Department.
- Catherine Rodríguez & Patricia Meirelles, 2010. "Devolution and Accountability Effects in the Public Provision of Water Services in Indonesia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007905, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Matsui, Kazuhisa, 2005. "Post-decentralization regional economies and actors -- putting the capacity of Local governments to the test," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO), vol. 43(1), pages 171-189, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.