Is cultural heritage really important for tourists? A contingent rating study
AbstractIn this article we present the results of a contingent rating study carried out on a sample of tourisits visiting Scicli, a Sicilian town known for its baroque heritage. In particular, we focus on different attributes of tourism products - namely, season, accommodation and cultural heritage - to study how much each of these attributes weights in tourists' preferences. We also study how the socio-demographic characteristics of people affect their evaluation of the different attributes of tourism products. The heritage endowment appears to be far from being the most important factor; this result is consistent across different socio-demographic subgroups of interviewed persons.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Alberini & Patrizia Riganti & Alberto Longo, 2003. "Can People Value the Aesthetic and Use Services of Urban Sites? Evidence from a Survey of Belfast Residents," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 193-213, November.
- Tiziana Cuccia & Roberto Cellini & Antonio Reale, 2004. "Patrimonio culturale e turismo: un'analisi empirica su Siracusa," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2004(3).
- Jesus Barreiro & Mercedes Sanchez & Montserrat Viladrich-Grau, 2005. "How much are people willing to pay for silence? A contingent valuation study," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(11), pages 1233-1246.
- Mazzanti, Massimiliano, 2003. "Valuing cultural heritage in a multi-attribute framework microeconomic perspectives and policy implications," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 549-569, November.
- McConnell, K. E., 1990. "Models for referendum data: The structure of discrete choice models for contingent valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-34, January.
- Hanley, Nick & Mourato, Susana & Wright, Robert E, 2001. " Choice Modelling Approaches: A Superior Alternative for Environmental Valuation?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 435-62, July.
- Begona Alvarez-Farizo & Nick Hanley & Ramon Barberan, 2001. "The Value of Leisure Time: A Contingent Rating Approach," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 681-699.
- R. Patuelli & M. Mussoni & G. Candela, 2012.
"The Effects of World Heritage Sites on Domestic Tourism: A Spatial Interaction Model for Italy,"
wp834, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Roberto Patuelli & Maurizio Mussoni & Guido Candela, 2013. "The effects of World Heritage Sites on domestic tourism: a spatial interaction model for Italy," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 369-402, July.
- Candela, Guido & Mussoni, Maurizio & Patuelli Roberto, 2012. "The effects of World Heritage Sites on domestic tourism: a spatial interaction model for Italy," EBLA Working Papers 201204, University of Turin.
- Roberto Patuelli & Maurizio Mussoni & Guido Candela, 2012. "The Effects of World Heritage Sites on Domestic Tourism: A Spatial Interaction Model for Italy," Working Paper Series 14_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2013.
- R. Patuelli & M. Mussoni & G. Candela, 2014.
"Cultural Offer and Distance in a Spatial Interaction Model for Tourism,"
wp943, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Roberto Patuelli & Maurizio Mussoni & Guido Candela, 2014. "Cultural Offer and Distance in a Spatial Interaction Model for Tourism," Working Paper Series 14_14, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Cuccia Tiziana, 2008. "A contingent ranking study on the preferences of tourists across seasons," EBLA Working Papers 200802, University of Turin.
- Frateschi, Carlofilippo & Lazzaro, Elisabetta & Palma Martos, Luis, 2009. "A Comparative Econometric Analysis of Museum Attendance by Locals and Foreigners: The Cases of Padua and Seville/Un análisis econométrico comparado de las asistencias a los museos por parte del púb," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 177-198, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.