Productivity and technical change: the case of Taiwan
AbstractThis paper analyses productivity growth in 16 of Taiwan's manufacturing industries during the period 1978-1992. The non-parametric Data Envelopment Analysis approach is used to compute Malmquist productivity indexes. These are decomposed into efficiency change and technical change. The latter is further decomposed into an output bias, an input bias and a magnitude component. In addition, the direction of input bias is identified. Empirical results indicate that the sector's TFP increased at a rate of 2.89% per annum, which could be ascribed to a technical progress (2.56%) and an efficiency improvement (0.33%).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Galanopoulos, Konstantinos & Lindberg, Emma & Surry, Yves R. & Mattas, Konstadinos, 2006. "Agricultural productivity growth in the Mediterranean and tests of convergence among countries," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10101, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zhao, Wei & Liu, Ling & Zhao, Ting, 2010. "The contribution of outward direct investment to productivity changes within China, 1991-2007," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 121-130, June.
- Sun, Chia-Hung, 2004. "Decomposing productivity growth in Taiwan's manufacturing, 1981-1999," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 759-776, August.
- Charles-Henri Dimaria & Chiara Peroni, 2012. "Unit labor cost and productivity recovery under non neutral technical change," Working Papers halshs-00826351, HAL.
- Kortelainen, Mika, 2008. "Dynamic environmental performance analysis: A Malmquist index approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 701-715, February.
- Briec, Walter & Peypoch, Nicolas & Ratsimbanierana, Hermann, 2011. "Productivity growth and biased technological change in hydroelectric dams," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 853-858, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.