A spatial decomposition of the Gini coefficient
AbstractThe paper introduces a spatial decomposition of the Gini coefficient that supports the detection of spatial autocorrelation conjointly with an indicator of overall inequality. An additive pairwise decomposition based on a spatial weights matrix partitions inequality between observations that are geographically neighbors and those that are not. A framework for inference on the spatial decomposition is also suggested. The statistical properties of the decomposition measure are evaluated in a Monte Carlo simulation and an empirical illustration involving per capita income inequality in the US states is also provided. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences.
Volume (Year): 6 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12076
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Briant, A. & Combes, P.-P. & Lafourcade, M., 2010.
"Dots to boxes: Do the size and shape of spatial units jeopardize economic geography estimations?,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 287-302, May.
- Briant, Anthony & Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren, 2008. "Dots to Boxes: Do the Size and Shape of Spatial Units Jeopardize Economic Geography Estimations?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6928, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony Briant & Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2008. "Dots to boxes: Do the size and shape of spatial units jeopardize economic geography estimations?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586029, HAL.
- Anthony Briant & Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2008. "Dots To Boxes: Do The Size And Shape Of Spatial Units Jeopardize Economic Geography Estimations?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00349294, HAL.
- Ravi Kanbur, 2006.
"The policy significance of inequality decompositions,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 367-374, December.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "The Policy Significance of Inequality Decompositions," Working Papers 127237, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Arbia, Giuseppe & Piras, Gianfranco, 2009. "A new class of spatial concentration measures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(12), pages 4471-4481, October.
- Schelling, Thomas C, 1969. "Models of Segregation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 488-93, May.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Casey J. Dawkins, 2007. "Space And The Measurement Of Income Segregation," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 255-272.
- Clark, Stephen & Hemming, Richard & Ulph, David, 1981. "On Indices for the Measurement of Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 515-26, June.
- Anthony Shorrocks & Guanghua Wan, 2005.
"Spatial decomposition of inequality,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 59-81, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.