A new class of spatial concentration measures
AbstractIn this paper we propose a new class of spatial concentration measures to verify hypotheses on the spatial concentration of empirical phenomena. Our proposed measures incorporate the ideas of both a-spatial concentration and spatial autocorrelation. We discuss many issues related to the approximate sampling theory and we suggest a Monte Carlo test for the presence of significant spatial concentration. A simulation experiment studying the relationship of the new measure to different spatial patterns and to different levels of a-spatial variability is also reported. A discussion related to irregular space is included.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 53 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilles Duranton & Henry Overman, 2002.
"Testing for Localisation Using Micro-Geographic Data,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0540, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2005. "Testing for Localization Using Micro-Geographic Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1077-1106.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2005. "Testing for localization using micro-geographic data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 581, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2002. "Testing for localisation using micro-geographic data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20071, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Duranton, Gilles & Henry G Overman, 2003. "Testing for Localisation Using Micro-Geographic Data," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 69, Royal Economic Society.
- Duranton, Gilles & Overman, Henry G., 2002. "Testing for Localization Using Micro-Geographic Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3379, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klaus Desmet & Marcel Fafchamps, 2005. "Changes in the spatial concentration of employment across US counties: a sectoral analysis 1972--2000," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 261-284, June.
- Bivand, Roger & Müller, Werner G. & Reder, Markus, 2009. "Power calculations for global and local Moran's," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 2859-2872, June.
- Arbia, Giuseppe & Lafratta, Giovanni & Simeoni, Carla, 2007. "Spatial sampling plans to monitor the 3-D spatial distribution of extremes in soil pollution surveys," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 4069-4082, May.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," NBER Working Papers 4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Freeman, Scott & Grogger, Jeffrey & Sonstelie, Jon, 1996. "The Spatial Concentration of Crime," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 216-231, September.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Klaus Desmet, 2003.
"Employment Concentration across US Counties,"
Economics Series Working Papers
180, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Sergio Rey & Richard Smith, 2013. "A spatial decomposition of the Gini coefficient," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 55-70, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.