Issues in Network Development by National Airlines: The Case of Ukraine
AbstractThis paper uses example of Ukraine to explore the issue of national airlines’ strategies on the global deregulated airline market. Ukraine’s case is unusual in a sense that the country currently has two main national carriers, which do not directly compete on any international route. The carriers’ success on the global deregulated market requires a well-established and structured network, which none of the two carriers can offer at this time. We suggest that an alliance between the two carriers is a preferable option to a merger. The analysis is extended to suggest alliances as a possible policy option on the deregulated airline markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 97 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-February)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brueckner, Jan K & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "Economies of Traffic Density in the Deregulated Airline Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 379-415, October.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach, 2005. "Price Competition between International Airline Alliances," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 39(2), pages 167-190, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Whalen, W Tom, 2000. "The Price Effects of International Airline Alliances," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 503-45, October.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "The economics of international codesharing: an analysis of airline alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1475-1498, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.