The effects of airline alliances: What do the aggregate data say?
AbstractWe consider an empirical model of worldwide airline alliances that we apply to a large set of companies for the period 1995-2000. Using observations at the network level, we estimate a cost, capacity, and demand system that accounts for cross-price elasticities. Our contribution consists in evaluating airlines' strategical interactions through the window of firms' network interconnections. We consider networks coincidences and potential connections with all their rivals. The results allow us to classify all company pairs as either complements or substitutes. We shed light on the fact that many airlines involved in the same alliance are potential substitutes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number hal-00622831.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, SERIES Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, 2010, 1, 251-276
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00622831
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "The economics of international codesharing: an analysis of airline alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1475-1498, December.
- Bamberger, Gustavo E & Carlton, Dennis W & Neumann, Lynette R, 2004.
"An Empirical Investigation of the Competitive Effects of Domestic Airline Alliances,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 195-222, April.
- Gustavo E. Bamberger & Dennis W. Carlton & Lynette R. Neumann, 2001. "An Empirical Investigation of the Competitive Effects of Domestic Airline Alliances," NBER Working Papers 8197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neven, Damien J. & Roller, Lars-Hendrik, 1996. "Rent sharing in the European airline industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 933-940, April.
- Jaumandreu, Jordi & Lorences, Joaquin, 2002. "Modelling price competition across many markets (An application to the Spanish loans market)," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 93-115, January.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Marín Uribe, Pedro Luis, 2004.
"Regulation and Incentives in European Aviation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4318, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Marín, Pedro L., . "Regulation and Incentives in European Aviation," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5032, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Marín, Pedro L. [marin], . "Regulation and Incentives in European Aviation," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5041, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Philippe Gagnepain & Pedro Marin, 2006. "Regulation and Incentives in European Aviation," Post-Print hal-00622844, HAL.
- Good, David H & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sickles, Robin C, 1993. "U.S. Airline Deregulation: Implications for European Transport," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 1028-41, July.
- David Genesove & Wallace P. Mullin, 1998. "Testing Static Oligopoly Models: Conduct and Cost in the Sugar Industry, 1890-1914," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(2), pages 355-377, Summer.
- Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Zhentang Zhang, 2002. "Endogenous Costs and Price-Cost Margins," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 294, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Park, Jong-Hun, 1997. "Airline alliances: current status, policy issues, and future directions," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 133-144.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.