Governance and Contractual Structure in the Vegetable Supply Chain in Romania
AbstractThe paper studies the relationship type and contractual aspects in the Romanian vegetable supply chain and farmers’ contracting choice. The paper draws on Williamsons’ governance contractual structure of non formal and formal relationship existing between farmers and buyers in order to see what type of contractual relationship is prevalent in the vegetable supply chain. It also tries to empirically analyze the key determinants of vegetable farmers’ contracting choice drawing on the transaction cost theory. The analysis is both qualitative and quantitative and uses binary choice models in order to assess the contractual choice of the vegetable producers. The analysis reveals that informal contractual relationships are prevalent on the market while in many cases the contractual enforcement is at stake.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
binary models; institutional change; vegetable chain; Romania;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Marie Codron & Zouhair Bouhsina & Fatiha Fort & Emilie Coudel & Aurélie Puech, 2004. "Supermarkets in Low-income Mediterranean Countries: Impacts on Horticulture Systems," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 587-602, 09.
- Liesbeth Dries & Thomas Reardon & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2004. "The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for the Agrifood Sector and Rural Development," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 525-556, 09.
- Per Pinstrup-Andersen, 2002. "Food and Agricultural Policy for a Globalizing World: Preparing for the Future," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1201-1214.
- Virginie Baritaux & Magali Aubert & Etienne Montaigne & Hervé Remaud, 2005.
"Matchmakers in Wine Marketing Channels : The Case of French Wine Brokers,"
- Virginie Baritaux & Magali Aubert & Etienne Montaigne & Hervé Remaud, 2006. "Matchmakers in wine marketing channels: The case of French wine brokers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 375-390.
- Azeta Cungu & Hamish Gow & Johan F. M. Swinnen & Liesbet Vranken, 2008. "Investment with weak contract enforcement: evidence from Hungary during transition," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(1), pages 75-91, March.
- Moustier, Paule & Tam, Phan Thi Giac & Anh, Dao The & Binh, Vu Trong & Loc, Nguyen Thi Tan, 2010. "The role of farmer organizations in supplying supermarkets with quality food in Vietnam," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 69-78, February.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.