Macroeconomic Effects of Financial Policy
AbstractThis paper studies the effects of financial policy in a model with heterogeneous agents, incomplete markets and portfolio restrictions. For an economy calibrated to replicate key aspects of the US wealth distribution, we find that the quantitative effects of financial policy are relatively small. The reason is that the households determining aggregate behavior are relatively well insured and can therefore offset the actions of the firm by modifying their portfolio allocations. However, financial policy has important effects on asset prices. Whereas a higher level of debt in the capital structure of the firm introduces more risk into the economy by increasing the volatility of the equity return, it enhances the liquidity of households by increasing the supply of bonds. In an economy with a substantial amount of heterogeneity, this last effect dominates and leverage leads to a decrease in the equity premium. This is in contrast to the findings in representative agent models, in which leverage unambiguously increases the premium through a higher equity return volatility. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics in its journal Review of Economic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Review of Economic Dynamics Academic Press Editorial Office 525 "B" Street, Suite 1900 San Diego, CA 92101
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/review.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Yann Algan & Olivier Allais & Eva Carceles-Poveda, 2009. "Code files for "Macroeconomic Effects of Financial Policy"," Computer Codes 06-51, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julio Davila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & José-Victor Rios Rull, 2005.
"Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b05066, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Julio Dávila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & José‐Víctor Ríos‐Rull, 2012. "Constrained Efficiency in the Neoclassical Growth Model With Uninsurable Idiosyncratic Shocks," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(6), pages 2431-2467, November.
- Julio Davila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & José-Victor Rios Rull, 2005. "Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00196183, HAL.
- Julio Davila & Jay H. Hong & Per Krusell & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull, 2005. "Constrained efficiency in the neoclassical growth model with uninsurable idiosyncratic shocks," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-023, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Aiyagari, S. Rao & McGrattan, Ellen R., 1998.
"The optimum quantity of debt,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 447-469, October.
- Pijoan-Mas, Josep, 2006.
"Pricing Risk in Economies with Heterogenous Agents and Incomplete Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5602, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2007. "Pricing Risk in Economies with Heterogeneous Agents and Incomplete Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 5(5), pages 987-1015, 09.
- Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2002. "Pricing Risk in Economies with Heterogenous Agents and Incomplete Markets," Centro de AltiÂsimos Estudios RiÂos PeÂ©rez(CAERP) 3, Centro de Altisimos Estudios Rios Perez (CAERP).
- Krusell, Per & Smith, Anthony A., 1997.
"Income And Wealth Heterogeneity, Portfolio Choice, And Equilibrium Asset Returns,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 387-422, June.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity, Portfolio Choice, and Equilibrium Asset Returns," GSIA Working Papers 1997-45, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1997.
"Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 19-58, January.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1993. "Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles," Working Papers 9304, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Santos, Manuel S. & Woodford, Michael, . "Rational asset pricing bubbles," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3913, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Olivier Allais & Wouter J Den Haan & Yann Algan, 2007.
"Solving Heterogeneous-agent Models with Parameterized Cross-sectional Distributions,"
Sciences Po publications
6062, Sciences Po.
- Algan, Yann & Allais, Olivier & Den Haan, Wouter J., 2008. "Solving heterogeneous-agent models with parameterized cross-sectional distributions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 875-908, March.
- Yann Algan & Olivier Allais & Wouter J. Den Haan, 2006. "Solving heterogeneous-agent models with parameterized cross-sectional distributions," PSE Working Papers halshs-00589129, HAL.
- Olivier Allais & Wouter J Den Haan & Yann Algan, 2006. "Solving Heterogeneous-agent Models with Parameterized Cross-sectional Distributions," Sciences Po publications 2006 - 46, Sciences Po.
- Algan, Yann & Allais, Olivier & Den Haan, Wouter, 2007. "Solving Heterogeneous-Agent Models with Parameterized Cross-Sectional Distributions," CEPR Discussion Papers 6062, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995.
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic,"
RCER Working Papers
399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," GSIA Working Papers 1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Jappelli, Tullio, 1990. "Who Is Credit Constrained in the U.S. Economy?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 219-34, February.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980. "Stockholder Unanimity in Making Production and Financial Decisions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(3), pages 543-66, May.
- Daniele Coen-Pirani & Eva Carceles-Poveda, . "Capital Ownership Under Incomplete Markets: Does it Matter?," GSIA Working Papers 2006-E63, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1985.
"(Uncertainty and) the Firm in General Equilibrium Theory,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 1-20, Supplemen.
- Dreze, J.H., 1984. "(Uncertainty and) the firm in general equilibrium theory," CORE Discussion Papers 1984026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pedro Silos, 2005.
"Housing, portfolio choice, and the macroeconomy,"
2005-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- João Cocco & Francisco Gomes & Pascal Maenhout, 1998. "Consumption and Portfolio Choice over the Life-Cycle," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces9805, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Jermann, Urban J., 1998. "Asset pricing in production economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 257-275, April.
- Santiago Budria Rodriguez & Javier Diaz-Gimenez & Vincenzo Quadrini & Jose-Victor Rior-Rull, 2002. "Updated facts on the U.S. distributions of earnings, income, and wealth," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 2-35.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1987.
"The Equity Premium and the Concentration of Aggregate Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
1788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1986. "The equity premium and the concentration of aggregate shocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 211-219, September.
- Gottardi, P., 1990.
"An Analysis Of The Conditions For The Validity Of Modigliani-Miller Theorem With Incomplete Markets,"
157, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Gottardi, Piero, 1995. "An Analysis of the Conditions for the Validity of Modigliani-Miller Theorem with Incomplete Markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 191-207, March.
- Young, Eric R., 2010. "Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using the Krusell-Smith algorithm and non-stochastic simulations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 36-41, January.
- Joao F. Cocco, 2005. "Consumption and Portfolio Choice over the Life Cycle," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 491-533.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.