The Determinants of Private Fixed Investment and the Relationship between Public and Private Capital Accumulation in Turkey
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to analyse the determinants of private fixed investment spending in Turkey over the period 1970–96, which covers years of both financial repression and financial liberalisation. A reformulated neoclassical investment model and a reformulated flexible accelerator investment model have been tested for the Turkish economy. The results obtained support the accelerator principle and the crowding out hypothesis, that is, public and private sector investments have been found to be substitutes. Furthermore, the hypothesis that the volume of funds is as important as the cost of funds used in financing private fixed investment has been verified. On the other hand, the so-called McKinnon-Shaw hypothesis has not been completely verified because the effect of the medium-term real lending rate on private fixed investment has been found to be negative but statistically insignificant. Finally, the financial and liberalisation programmes that have been implemented since 1983 have not yet shown any noticeable positive effects on private investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its journal The Pakistan Development Review.
Volume (Year): 41 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres, 1992. "Private Investment and Macroeconomic Adjustment: A Survey," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 95-114, January.
- Chhibber, Ajay & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1988. "Public policy and private investment in Turkey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 120, The World Bank.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nabli, Mustapha K. & Yousef, Tarik M., 2005. "Public infrastructure and private investment in the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3661, The World Bank.
- Guido Fioretti, .
"Recognizing Investment Opportunities at the Onset of Recoveries,"
Modeling, Computing, and Mastering Complexity 2003
07, Society for Computational Economics.
- Fioretti, Guido, 2006. "Recognising investment opportunities at the onset of recoveries," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 69-84, June.
- Guido Fioretti, 2002. "Recognizing Investment Opportunities at the Onset of Recoveries," Macroeconomics 0207008, EconWPA.
- Olaf Unteroberdoerster & Roberto Pereira GuimarÃ£es, 2006. "What's Driving Private Investment in Malaysia? Aggregate Trends and Firm-Level Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/190, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.