Private and Public Investment in Malaysia: A Panel Time-Series Analysis
AbstractPublic capital hypothesis explains that a positive relationship exists between private and public investment. This paper examines the validity of the hypothesis by using a panel time series analysis on four sectors of the Malaysian economy (agriculture, industry and trade, transportation and communication, and construction). Panel co-integration analysis is used to prove the relationship between private domestic investment and public investment by using panel data for the period of 1976–2006. Two interaction variables, public investment and gross domestic product and investment and privatization policy were included as independent variables to take into account the influence of gross domestic product and privatization policy on the effect of public investment on private investment. Results of the study indicate that public investment has positive effect on private investment in all the three sectors except agricultural sector, suggesting that government expenditure encourage more private investment if focus is given towards productive expenditure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econjournals in its journal International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econjournals.com
Public capital hypothesis; Panel time-series; Malaysia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chihwa Kao & Suzanne McCoskey, 1997.
"A Residual-Based Test Of The Null Of Cointegration In Panel Data,"
- Suzanne McCoskey & Chihwa Kao, 1998. "A residual-based test of the null of cointegration in panel data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 57-84.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Kul B. Luintel, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: the Role of Stock Markets,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
97/05, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 2001. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Role of Stock Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 16-41, February.
- Evans, Paul & Karras, Georgios, 1994. "Is government capital productive? Evidence from a panel of seven countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 271-279.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, .
"Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?,"
186, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Quah, Danny, 1994.
"Exploiting cross-section variation for unit root inference in dynamic data,"
Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 9-19.
- Quah, D., 1993. "Exploiting Cross Section Variation for Unit Root Inference in Dynamic Data," Papers 549, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Danny Quah, 1993. "Exploiting Cross Section Variation for Unit Root Inference in Dynamic Data," FMG Discussion Papers dp171, Financial Markets Group.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000.
"Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999. "Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data," Research Papers 1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Tom Doan, . "HADRI: RATS procedure to implement Hadri test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00084, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity Tests In Cointegrated Panels,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 727-731, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Pedroni PPP tests on panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00132, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Pedroni, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity Tests in Cointegrated Panels," Department of Economics Working Papers 2001-01, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Diego Martinez-Lopez, 2006. "Linking Public Investment to Private Investment. The Case of Spanish Regions," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 411-423.
- Valerio Crispolti & Daniela Marconi, 2005. "Technology transfer and economic growth in developing countries: an econometric analysis," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 564, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- M. O. Odedokun, 1997. "Relative effects of public versus private investment spending on economic efficiency and growth in developing countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(10), pages 1325-1336.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 783-99, May.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Philip Arestis, 1996. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/16, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Mario I. Blejer & Mohsin S. Khan, 1984. "Government Policy and Private Investment in Developing Countries (Politique des pouvoirs publics et investissement privÃ© dans les pays en dÃ©veloppement) (PolÃtica estatal e inversiÃ³n priva," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 379-403, June.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Dhaneshwar Ghura & Barry Goodwin, 2000. "Determinants of private investment: a cross-regional empirical investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1819-1829.
- Habib Ahmed & Stephen M. Miller, 1999. "Crowding-Out and Crowding-In Effects of the Components of Government Expenditure," Working papers 1999-02, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Lutfi Erden & Randall G. Holcombe, 2005. "The Effects of Public Investment on Private Investment in Developing Economies," Public Finance Review, , vol. 33(5), pages 575-602, September.
- Joshua Greene & Delano Villanueva, 1991. "Private Investment in Developing Countries: An Empirical Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Abuaf, Niso & Jorion, Philippe, 1990. " Purchasing Power Parity in the Long Run," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 157-74, March.
- Lutfi Erden & Randall G. Holcombe, 2006. "The Linkage Between Public and Private Investment: A Co-integration Analysis of a Panel of Developing Countries," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 479-492, Summer.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Hansen, Bruce E, 1990.
"Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125, January.
- Tom Doan, . "FM: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using Fully Modified Least Squares," Statistical Software Components RTS00069, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Harris, Richard D. F. & Tzavalis, Elias, 1999.
"Inference for unit roots in dynamic panels where the time dimension is fixed,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 201-226, August.
- Tom Doan, . "HTUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Harris-Tzavalis unit root test for panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-188, September.
- Pereira, Alfred M. & Roca-Sagales, Oriol, 2001. "Infrastructures and private sector performance in Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 371-384, May.
- C. Alicia Avilés Zugasti & Rosario Gómez García & José Sánchez Maldonado, 2001. "The effects of public infrastructure on the cost structure of Spanish industries," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 131-150.
- H. Ahmed & SM. Miller, 2000. "Crowding-out and crowding-in effects of the components of government expenditure," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 124-133, 01.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2003:i:28:p:1-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Miguel Ramirez, 2000. "The impact of public investment on private investment spending in Latin America: 1980–95," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(2), pages 210-225, June.
- Choi, In, 2001. "Unit root tests for panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-272, April.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Chou, Win Lin & Chao, Chi-Chur, 2001. "Are currency devaluations effective? A panel unit root test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 19-25, July.
- Hwa-Taek Lee & Gawon Yoon, 2013. "Does purchasing power parity hold sometimes? Regime switching in real exchange rates," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(16), pages 2279-2294, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.