The effects of public infrastructure on the cost structure of Spanish industries
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of public infrastructures on the performance of Spanish private business at a disaggregated industry level. We use duality theory to recover the productivity effects of public capital by calculating the cost saving effects that are associated to public services. Using a translog cost function we present panel estimates for 14 Spanish industries during the period 1980-1991. Our results strongly suggest that public capital formation can be considered to be an instrument to improve competitiveness by reducing production costs. However, the results also indicate that there is a technologically induced labor saving effect through higher public investment. Furthermore, our estimates suggest that a distinction among industries is of importance because the effects of public infrastructures vary across industries considerably.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Spanish Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 3 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10108/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- C. Alicia Avilés Zugasti & Rosario Gómez García & José Sánchez Maldonado, 2003. "Capital público, actividad económica privada y efectos desbordamiento: Un análisis por Comunidades Autónomas de los sectores Industria y Construcción en España," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 165(2), pages 25-51, June.
- Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, . "Structural Funds and Spain’s Objective 1 Regions: An Analysis Based on the Hermin Model," Working Papers 2005-24, FEDEA.
- Sallahuddin Hassan & Zalila Othman & Mohd Zaini Abd Karim, 2011. "Private and Public Investment in Malaysia: A Panel Time-Series Analysis," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 1(4), pages 199-210.
- Betty Agnani & Henry Aray, . "Testing for Political Effects on Total Factor Productivity," ThE Papers 09/13, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Ertugrul Deliktas & A. Önder & Metin Karadag, 2009. "The spillover effects of public capital on the Turkish private manufacturing industries in the geographical regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 365-378, June.
- Carmen Díaz Roldán & Diego Martínez-López, 2005. "Inversión pública y crecimiento económico. Una revisión crítica con propuesta de futuro," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2005/10, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- José Manuel González-Páramo & Diego Martínez López, . "Public Investment and Convergence in the Spanish Regions," Studies on the Spanish Economy 112, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.