Effect of Government Spending and Macro-Economic Uncertainty on Private Investment in Services Sector: Evidence from Pakistan
AbstractThis study examines the effect of government spending and macroeconomic uncertainty on private fixed investment in services sector of the Pakistan for the period from 1972 to 2005. We first investigated time series properties of data then estimated long run model using cointegration technique. The results show that government spending and interest rate affect private investment in services sector in Pakistan. The preferred short-run dynamic investment function indicates that increase in government current spending and interest rate discourages private investment and similarly macroeconomic instability and uncertainty affect the private investment negatively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11673.
Date of creation: Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Private Investment; Government Expenditure; Macroeconomic uncertainty; Services Sector; Co-integration; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2008-11-25 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MAC-2008-11-25 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1991.
"Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Investment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 29(3), pages 1110-48, September.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Working papers 3137-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1990. "Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 3307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert, 1989. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 294, The World Bank.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1993.
"Investments of uncertain cost,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 53-76, August.
- Serven, Luis, 2002. "Real exchange rate uncertainty and private investment in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2823, The World Bank.
- Imtiaz Ahmed & Abdul Qayyum, 2007. "Do Public Expenditure and Macroeconomic Uncertainty Matter to Private Investment? Evidence from Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(2), pages 145-161.
- Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres, 1993. "Debt crisis, adjustment policies and capital formation in developing countries: Where do we stand?," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 127-140, January.
- Dhaneshwar Ghura & Barry Goodwin, 2000. "Determinants of private investment: a cross-regional empirical investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1819-1829.
- Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres, 1991. "Adjustment policies and investment performance in developing countries : theory, country experiences, and policy implications," Policy Research Working Paper Series 606, The World Bank.
- AsHFAQUE H KHAN, 1988. "Macroeconomic Policy and Private Investment in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 278-291.
- Joshua Greene & Delano Villanueva, 1991. "Private Investment in Developing Countries: An Empirical Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 33-58, March.
- HENRY, David F. & RICHARD, Jean-François, .
"On the formulation of empirical models in dynamic econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-502, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hendry, David F. & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1982. "On the formulation of empirical models in dynamic econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-33, October.
- George, Anita & Morisset, Jacques & DEC, 1993. "Does price uncertainty really reduce private investment? A small model applied to Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1114, The World Bank.
- Looney, Robert E., 1997. "Infrastructure and private sector investment in Pakistan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 393-420.
- Schwert, G. William, 1987. "Effects of model specification on tests for unit roots in macroeconomic data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 73-103, July.
- Abdul Rashid, 2005. "Public / Private Investment Linkages: A Multivariate Cointegration Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 805-817.
- Pereira, Alfred M. & Roca-Sagales, Oriol, 2001. "Infrastructures and private sector performance in Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 371-384, May.
- Mehdi S. Monadjemi, 1996. "Public Expenditure And Private Investment: A Study of Three OECD Countries," Studies in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Kent 9601, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Shafik, Nemat & Shafik, Nemat, 1992. "Modeling private investment in Egypt," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 263-277, October.
- Oshikoya, Temitope W, 1994. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Domestic Private Investment in Africa: An Empirical Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(3), pages 573-96, April.
- David Stasavage, 2000. "Private Investment and Political Uncertainty," STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics 25, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ahmed, Shahzad & Ahmed, Waqas & Khan, Sajawal & Pasha, Farooq & Rehman, Muhammad, 2012. "Pakistan Economy DSGE Model with Informality," MPRA Paper 53135, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmad, Imtiaz & Qayyum, Abdul, 2009. "Role of Public Expenditures and Macroeconomic Uncertainty in Determining Private Investment in Large Scale Manufacturing Sector of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 29268, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amber Fatima & Abdul Waheed, 2011. "Effects of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Investment and Economic Growth: Evidence from Pakistan," Transition Studies Review, Springer, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 112-123, September.
- Shahid Ali & Naved Ahmad, 2010. "The Effects of Fiscal Policy on Economic Growth: Empirical Evidences Based on Time Series Data from Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 49(4), pages 497â€“512.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.