Access to Finance: An Unfinished Agenda
AbstractRecent data compilations show that many poor and nonpoor people in many developing countries face a high degree of financial exclusion and high barriers in access to finance. Theory and empirical evidence point to the critical role that improved access to finance has in promoting growth and reducing income inequality. An extensive literature shows the channels through which finance promotes enterprise growth and improves aggregate resource allocation. There is less evidence at the household level, however, and on the effectiveness of policies to overcome financial exclusion. The article summarizes recent efforts to measure and analyze the impact of access to finance and discusses the unfinished research agenda. Copyright The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development / the world bank . All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal The World Bank Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 22 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Valdivia & Dean Karlan, 2006.
"Teaching Entrepreneurship: Impact of Business Training on Microfinance Clients and Institutions,"
941, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Dean Karlan & Martin Valdivia, 2011. "Teaching Entrepreneurship: Impact of Business Training on Microfinance Clients and Institutions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(2), pages 510-527, May.
- Dean Karlan & Martin Valdivia, 2006. "Teaching entrepreneurship: Impact of business training on microfinance clients and institutions," Natural Field Experiments 00282, The Field Experiments Website.
- Dean Karlan & Martin Valdivia, 2007. "Teaching Entrepreneurship: Impact of Business Training on Microfinance Clients and Institutions," Working Papers 107, Center for Global Development.
- Ana Carla A. Costa & Joao M.P. De Mello, 2006.
"Judicial Risk and Credit Market Performance: Micro Evidence from Brazilian Payroll Loans,"
NBER Working Papers
12252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana Carla A. Costa & João M. P. De Mello, 2008. "Judicial Risk and Credit Market Performance: Micro Evidence from Brazilian Payroll Loans," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Markets Volatility and Performance in Emerging Markets, pages 155-184 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Torre, A. de la, 2007.
"The basic analytics of access to financial services,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125424, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & de la Torre, Augusto, 2006. "The basic analytics of access to financial services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4026, The World Bank.
- DeanS. Karlan, 2007.
"Social connections and group banking,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F52-F84, 02.
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005. "Social Connections and Group Banking," Working Papers 913, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005. "Social Connections and Group Banking," Working Papers 181, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Karlan, Dean S., 2007. "Social Connections and Group Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 6194, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rainer Haselmann & Katharina Pistor & Vikrant Vig, 2010.
"How Law Affects Lending,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(2), pages 549-580, February.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1988.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
51644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 1989.
- Ashraf Nava & Karlan Dean & Yin Wesley, 2006.
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-24, March.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
- Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert M., 2004.
"Evaluation of financial liberalization: a general equilibrium model with constrained occupation choice,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 269-307, August.
- Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert M., 2003. "Evaluation of financial liberalization : a general equilibrium model with constrained occupation choice," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3014, The World Bank.
- John Gibson & David McKenzie & Halahingano Rohorua, 2006. "How Cost Elastic are Remittances? Estimates from Tongan Migrants in New Zealand," Working Papers in Economics 06/02, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Xavier Giné & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2007.
"Patterns of rainfall insurance participation in rural India,"
302, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Xavier Giné & Robert Townsend & James Vickery, 2008. "Patterns of Rainfall Insurance Participation in Rural India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 539-566, October.
- Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert & Vickery, James, 2007. "Patternsof rainfall insurance participation in rural India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4408, The World Bank.
- Love, Inessa, 2001.
"Financial development and financing constraints - international evidence from the structural investment model,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2694, The World Bank.
- Inessa Love, 2003. "Financial Development and Financing Constraints: International Evidence from the Structural Investment Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 765-791, July.
- Jeffrey Wurgler, 1999.
"Financial Markets And The Allocation Of Capital,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm123, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2001.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "Innovative experiences in access to finance : market friendly roles for the visible hand ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4326, The World Bank.
- Mark M. Pitt & Shahidur R. Khandker, 1998. "The Impact of Group-Based Credit Programs on Poor Households in Bangladesh: Does the Gender of Participants Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 958-996, October.
- Robert Cull & Kinnon Scott, 2010.
"Measuring Household Usage of Financial Services: Does it Matter How or Whom You Ask?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 24(2), pages 199-233, April.
- Cull, Robert & Scott, Kinnon, 2009. "Measuring household usage of financial services : does it matter how or whom You Ask ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5048, The World Bank.
- Carmen Hoyo & Ximena Pena & David Tuesta, 2013. "Factores de demanda que influyen en la Inclusion Financiera en Mexico. Analisis de las barreras a partir de la ENIF," Working Papers 1336, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Martijn Boermans & Daan Willebrands, 2012. "Financial constraints, risk taking and firm performance: Recent evidence from microfinance clients in Tanzania," DNB Working Papers 358, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Carmen Hoyo & Ximena Pena & David Tuesta, 2013. "Demand factors that influence financial inclusion in Mexico. Analysis of the barriers based on the ENIF survey," Working Papers 1337, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2009. "Village Funds and Access to Finance in Rural Thailand," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-417, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Neuberger, Doris & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2012.
"Collateral and its substitutes in emerging markets’ lending,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 817-834.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Doris Neuberger & Ornsiri Rungruxsirivorn, 2011. "Collateral and its Substitutes in Emerging Markets' Lending," CESifo Working Paper Series 3585, CESifo Group Munich.
- Morgan, Horatio M., 2013. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: New Lessons from Small Open Economies," MPRA Paper 49842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen Kislat & Lukas Menkhoff & Doris Neuberger, 2013. "The Use of Collateral in Formal and Informal Lending," Kiel Working Papers 1879, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2011. "Do Village Funds Improve Access to Finance? Evidence from Thailand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 110-122, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.