Imported Machinery for Export Competitiveness
AbstractThis article analyzes the relationship between export competitiveness and investment in machinery, allowing for imperfect substitution between domestically produced and imported machinery. A translog export price function is estimated for developed, exportoriented developing, and import-substituting developing economies in a panel data setting. Between 1967 and 1990 imported machinery helped lower export prices for export-oriented developing economies. Moreover, throughout the period imported machinery was not a substitute for domestic machinery. Import-substituting developing economies were unable to harness imported machinery to reduce costs early in the period, but from about the early 1980s, with the opening of their trade regimes, they were able to benefit from the cost-reducing effect. The results imply that innovative effort based on imported technologies can be a precursor to the development of domestic innovation capabilities. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal The World Bank Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 16 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kodama, Masahiro, 2013. "Growth-cycle nexus," IDE Discussion Papers 387, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Navaretti, Giorgio Barba & Galeotti, Marzio & Mattozzi, Andrea, 2004. "Moving skills from hands to heads: does importing technology affect export performance in textiles?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6-7), pages 879-895, September.
- Mahadevan, Renuka & Suardi, Sandy, 2008. "A dynamic analysis of the impact of uncertainty on import- and/or export-led growth: The experience of Japan and the Asian Tigers," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 155-174, March.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance E., 2007. "The exchange rate and machinery and equipment imports: Identifying the impact of import source and export destination country currency valuation changes," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-21, February.
- Kalin Hristov & Martin Zaimov, 2003. "Shadowing the euro: Bulgaria’s monetary policy five years on," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Regional currency areas and the use of foreign currencies, volume 17, pages 61-78 Bank for International Settlements.
- Herrerias, M.J. & Orts, Vicente, 2013. "Capital goods imports and long-run growth: Is the Chinese experience relevant to developing countries?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 781-797.
- DiPietro, William R. & Anoruo, Emmanuel, 2006. "Creativity, innovation, and export performance," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 133-139, February.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance E., 2006. "Exchange rates and investment good prices: A cross-industry comparison," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 237-256, March.
- Sule Ozler & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmaz, 2007.
"History Matters for the Export Decision Plant Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry,"
ERC Working Papers
0704, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Mar 2007.
- Özler, Sule & Taymaz, Erol & YIlmaz, Kamil, 2009. "History Matters for the Export Decision: Plant-Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 479-488, February.
- Kamil Yılmaz & Şule Özler & Erol Taymaz, 2007. "History Matters for the Export Decision: Plant Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0706, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 2007.
"Investment and the exchange rate: Short run and long run aggregate and sector-level estimates,"
9958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance E., 2009. "Investment and the exchange rate: Short run and long run aggregate and sector-level estimates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 813-835, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.