Exchange Rate Pass Through To Import Prices: Panel Evidence From Emerging Market Economies
AbstractThis paper investigates the size and nature of exchange rate pass through to import prices for a panel of 14 emerging economies. We firstly set out a stylized model in which import prices are dependent upon the exchange rate, marginal cost and the mark up. We employed methods which account for panel heterogeneity, distinguish between long and short run pass through effects and allow for asymmetries. Our results show that import prices respond on average positively, but incompletely, to the exchange rate. However, there are important differences between Latin American and Asia once we take account of asymmetry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow in its series Working Papers with number 2010_19.
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Import Prices; Exchange Rates; Exchange Rate Pass Through; Foreign Marginal Costs; Emerging Economies;
Other versions of this item:
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Chavali, Aditya S. & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2010. "Exchange rate pass through to import prices: panel evidence from emerging market economies," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-46, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gil-Pareja, Salvador, 2003. "Pricing to market behaviour in European car markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 945-962, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeanette Findlay).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.