Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Manufactured Import Prices: The Case of Japan
AbstractThis paper examines the exchange rate pass-through to yen based manufactured import prices of Japan using asymmetric unit root and cointegration tests and asymmetric models. Due to sticky prices, for example, there are reasons to believe that the degree of pass-through depends on whether the exchange rate appreciates or depreciates. The sample used in this study covers the period January 1975 to June 1997. Using two state regime switching models, the estimated pass-through coefficients corresponding to appreciation and depreciation of the currency are found to be 98 percent and 83 percent respectively; these coefficients are shown to be significantly different, particularly in the post recession period. Moreover, we have shown that the recession in Japan in the 1990s has significantly affected the exchange rate passthrough relationship particularly when the yen depreciates and that the proposition that exchange rate depreciation and appreciation have systematic asymmetric effects on exchange rate pass-through coefficient. Forcing appreciations and depreciations to have the same effects on the import prices does not appear to uncover the true underlying exchange rate pass through relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0406006.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 21 Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 25
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Exchange rate pass-through; Japan; threshold autoregression.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992.
"Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports,"
1992.32 EDIRC Provider-In, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1994. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 271-81, March.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Working Papers 1992.32, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Falk, Barry L., 1986.
"Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle,"
Staff General Research Papers
11097, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Falk, Barry, 1986. "Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1096-1109, October.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998.
"Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Staff General Research Papers
1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998. "Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders/Granger JBES(1998)on threshold unit roots," Statistical Software Components RTZ00054, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja, 2000. "Exchange rates and European countries’ export prices: An empirical test for asymmetries in pricing to market behavior," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Dominique Gross & Nicolas Schmitt, 1996. "Exchange rate pass-through and rivalry in the Swiss automobile market," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(2), pages 278-303, September.
- Gron, Anne & Swenson, Deborah L, 1996. "Incomplete Exchange-Rate Pass-Through and Imperfect Competition: The Effect of Local Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 71-76, May.
- Dwyer, Jacqueline & Kent, Christopher & Pease, Andrew, 1994. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Testing the Small Country Assumption for Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 70(211), pages 408-23, December.
- Malin Adolfson, 1997.
"Exchange rate pass-through to Swedish import prices,"
Finnish Economic Papers,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 81-98, Autumn.
- Adolfson, Malin, 1996. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Swedish Import Prices," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 123, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Holt, Matthew T. & Prestemon, Jeffrey P., 2012. "Nonlinear exchange rate pass-through in timber products: the case of oriented strand board in Canada and the United States," MPRA Paper 40834, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Przystupa, Jan & Wróbel, Ewa, 2009. "Asymmetry of the exchange rate pass-through: An exercise on the Polish data," MPRA Paper 17660, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aron, Janine & Farrell, Greg & Muellbauer, John & Sinclair, Peter, 2010. "Exchange Rate Pass-through and Monetary Policy in South Africa," CEPR Discussion Papers 8153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guneratne Banda Wickremasinghe & Param Silvapulle, 2004. "Role of Exchange Rate Volatility in Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices: Some Evidence from Japan," International Finance 0406006, EconWPA.
- Delatte, Anne-Laure & López-Villavicencio, Antonia, 2012. "Asymmetric exchange rate pass-through: Evidence from major countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 833-844.
- Tokhir Mirzoev, 2004. "A Dynamic Model of Endogenous Exchange Rate Pass-Through," International Finance 0409002, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.