A dynamic dual model under state-contingent production uncertainty
AbstractIn this paper, we assess how production costs and capital accumulation patterns in agriculture have evolved over time, by paying special attention to the influence of risk. A dynamic state-contingent cost-minimisation approach is applied to assess production decisions in US agriculture over the last century. Results suggest the relevance of allowing for the stochastic nature of the production function which permits to capture both the differences in the costs of producing under different states of nature and the differences in the evolution of these costs over time, as well as the differential impacts of different states of nature on investment decisions. Oxford University Press and Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics 2010; all rights reserved. For permissions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Serra, Teresa & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2010. "A dynamic dual model under state-contingent production uncertainty," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61353, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris O'Donnell & W.E. Griffiths, 2004.
"Estimating State-Contingent Production Frontiers,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022004, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Yir-Hueih Luh & Spiro E. Stefanou, 1996. "Estimating Dynamic Dual Models under Nonstatic Expectations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 991-1003.
- Céline Nauges & Christopher J. O'Donnell & John Quiggin, 2011.
"Uncertainty and technical efficiency in Finnish agriculture: a state-contingent approach,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 449-467, October.
- Nauges, Celine & O'Donnell, Christopher & Quiggin, John, 2010. "Uncertainty and Technical Efficiency in Finnish Agriculture: A State-contingent Approach," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151192, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Celine Nauges & Chris O'Donnell & John Quiggin, 2010. "Uncertainty and technical efficiency in Finnish agriculture: a state-contingent approach," Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers WPR10_2, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.