Dynamic Efficiency Estimation: An Application to US Electric Utilities
AbstractThe static production efficiency model and the dynamic duality model of intertemporal decision making using a parametric approach have been continuously developed but in separate direction. In this study the static shadow cost approach and the dynamic duality model of intertemporal decision making are integrated to formulate theoretical and econometric models of dynamic efficiency with intertemporal cost minimizing firm behavior. The dynamic efficiency model is empirically implemented using a panel data set of 72 U.S. major investor-owned electric utilities using fossil-fuel fired steam electric power generation during the time period of 1986 to 1999. The major results of this study are that most electric utilities in this study underutilized fuel relative to the aggregated labor and maintenance input and they overutilized capital in production. Electric utilities with relatively high technical inefficiency of variable inputs demand in production in states adopting a deregulation plan improve the performance of the utilities. The estimates of the input price elasticities present the substitution possibilities among the inputs. Finally, the results suggest evidence of increasing returns to scale in the production of the electricity industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series CEPA Working Papers Series with number WP052003.
Date of creation: Jul 2003
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Rungsuriyawiboon, Supawat & Stefanou, Spiro E., 2007. "Dynamic Efficiency Estimation: An Application to U.S. Electric Utilities," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 226-238, April.
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990.
"Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989. "Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels," Working Papers 89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Crew, Michael A & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 2002. "Regulatory Economics: Twenty Years of Progress?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1989.
"Research and Development and Intraindustry Spillovers: An Empirical Application of Dynamic Duality,"
NBER Working Papers
2002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1989. "Research and Development and Intra-industry Spillovers: An Empirical Application of Dynamic Duality," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 249-67, April.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1988. "Research and Development and Intraindustry Spillovers: An Empirical Application of Dynamic Duality," Working Papers 88-06, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- repec:att:wimass:9220 is not listed on IDEAS
- Timothy J. Considine, 2000. "Cost Structures for Fossil Fuel-Fired Electric Power Generation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 83-104.
- Treadway, Arthur B., 1974. "The globally optimal flexible accelerator," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 17-39, January.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Greene, William H, 1976. "Economies of Scale in U.S. Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 655-76, August.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Primont, Daniel, 2002. "Stochastic estimation of firm technology, inefficiency, and productivity growth using shadow cost and distance functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 203-225, June.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- McLaren, Keith R & Cooper, Russel J, 1980. "Intertemporal Duality: Application to the Theory of the Firm," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1755-62, November.
- L. Dean Hiebert, 2002. "The Determinants of the Cost Efficiency of Electric Generating Plants: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(4), pages 935-946, April.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Halvorsen, Robert, 1980. "A Test of Relative and Absolute Price Efficiency in Regulated Utilities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 81-88, February.
- Granderson, Gerald & Linvill, Carl, 2002. "Regulation, efficiency, and Granger causality," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1225-1245, November.
- Epstein, Larry G, 1981. "Duality Theory and Functional Forms for Dynamic Factor Demands," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 81-95, January.
- Epstein, Larry G & Denny, Michael G S, 1983. "The Multivariate Flexible Accelerator Model: Its Empirical Restrictions and an Application to U.S. Manufacturing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 647-74, May.
- Yir-Hueih Luh & Spiro E. Stefanou, 1996. "Estimating Dynamic Dual Models under Nonstatic Expectations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 991-1003.
- Margarita Genius & Spyro Stefanou & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2009. "Productivity Growth and Efficiency under Leontief Technology: An Application to US Steam-Electric Power Generation Utilities," Working Papers 0913, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Stefanou, Spiro E., 2009.
"A Dynamic Characterization of Efficiency,"
Agricultural Economics Review,
Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(1), January.
- Supawat Rungsuriyawiboon & Tim Coelli, 2004. "Regulatory Reform and Economic Performance in US Electricity Generation," CEPA Working Papers Series WP062004, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Stratford Douglas & Thomas A. Garrett & Russell M. Rhine, 2009. "Disallowances and overcapitalization in the U.S. electric utility industry," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 23-32.
- Supawat Rungsuriyawiboon & Spiro Stefanou, 2008.
"The dynamics of efficiency and productivity growth in U.S. electric utilities,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 177-190, December.
- Supawat Rungsuriyawiboon & Spyro Stefanou, 2004. "The Dynamics of Efficiency and Productivity Growth in U. S. Electric Utilities," Working Papers 0711, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 00 Aug 2006.
- Genius, Margarita & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2012. "Measuring productivity growth under factor non-substitution: An application to US steam-electric power generation utilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 844-852.
- Kapelko, Magdalena & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 2012. "Dynamic Productivity Growth in the Spanish Meat Industry," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135789, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kapelko, Magdalena & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 2012. "Assessing dynamic efficiency of the Spanish construction sector pre- and post-financial crisis," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135790, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wagner, Christina & Huttel, Silke & Odening, Martin, 2012. "Dynamic Efficiency Under Uncertainty: An Application To German Dairy Farms," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 133826, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Supawat Rungsuriyawiboon & Chris O'Donnell, 2004. "Curvature-Constrained Estimates of Technical Efficiency and Returns to Scale for U.S. Electric Utilities," CEPA Working Papers Series WP072004, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Sifis Kafkalas & Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2012. "Tax Evasion and Public Expenditures on Tax Collection Services in an Endogenous Growth Model," Working Papers 1202, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 09 Mar 2013.
- Supawat Rungsuriyawiboon, 2004. "An Analysis of Cost Structures in the Electricity Generation Industry," CEPA Working Papers Series WP052004, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Grigorios Emvalomatis, 2012. "Adjustment and unobserved heterogeneity in dynamic stochastic frontier models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 7-16, February.
- Huettel, Silke & Narayana, Rashmi & Odening, Martin, 2011. "Measuring dynamic efficiency under uncertainty," Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers 129062, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.