Investment under Uncertainty and Dynamic Adjustment in the Finnish Pork Industry
AbstractA stochastic dual model of investment under uncertainty is used to investigate structural adjustment in the Finnish hog industry. Value function restrictions are found to be comparable to those in existing dual models assuming deterministic state variables. The model also allows for an asymmetry in investment response during capital expansion and contraction phases. Empirical results show that investments respond negatively to increased uncertainty and that labor adjusts more slowly during contraction phases than during expansions. Results on economies of size, uncertainty effects, and adjustment rigidities have important implications for hog industry response to Finland's entry into the EU. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Serra, Teresa & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Gil, Jose Maria & Featherstone, Allen M., 2008.
"Investment rigidity and policy measures,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6511, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sandri, Serena & Schade, Christian & Mußhoff, Oliver & Odening, Martin, 2010.
"Holding on for too long? An experimental study on inertia in entrepreneurs' and non-entrepreneurs' disinvestment choices,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 30-44, October.
- Sandri, Serena & Schade, Christian & Musshoff, Oliver & Odening, Martin, 2010. "Holding on for too long? An experimental study on inertia in entrepreneurs’ and non-entrepreneurs’ disinvestment choices," Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers 59518, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Zier, Patrick, 2013. "Econometric impact assessment of the Common Agricultural Policy in East German agriculture," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 71, number 71.
- Pietola, Kyösti & Liu, Xing & Robles, Miguel, 2010. "Price, inventories, and volatility in the global wheat market," IFPRI discussion papers 996, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Pietola, Kyosti, 2002. "Semi-Parametric Modeling of Investments in Energy Installations," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24813, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Odening, Martin & Musshoff, Oliver & Huettel, Silke, 2003. "Empirische Validierung von Realoptionsmodellen," Working Paper Series 18825, Humboldt University Berlin, Department Agricultural Economics.
- Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 2005. "Modelling the Impact of the CAP Reform on Farm Investments," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24468, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Petrick, Martin & Zier, Patrick, 2012.
"Common Agricultural Policy effects on dynamic labour use in agriculture,"
Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers
134425, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Petrick, Martin & Zier, Patrick, 2012. "Common Agricultural Policy effects on dynamic labour use in agriculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 671-678.
- Huettel, Silke & Narayana, Rashmi & Odening, Martin, 2011. "Measuring dynamic efficiency under uncertainty," Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers 129062, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Musshoff, Oliver & Hirschauer, Norbert, 2008. "Investment planning under uncertainty and flexibility: the case of a purchasable sales contract," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(1), March.
- Ihli, Hanna Julia & Maart, Syster Christin & Musshoff, Oliver, 2012. "Investment and Disinvestment in Irrigation Technology – An Experimental Analysis of Farmers’ Decision Behavior –," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124532, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gardebroek, Cornelis & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2008. "Dynamic Microeconometric Approaches To Analysing Agricultural Policy," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6592, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Myyrä, Sami, & Pietola, Kyosti & Heikkilä, Anna-Maija, 2011. "Farm Level Capital: Capital positions, structures, the dynamics of farm level investments, capital accumulation and leverage positions," Factor Markets Working Papers 105, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Petrick, Martin & Zier, Patrick, 2010. "Cap Impacts On Labour Use In East German Agriculture," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93962, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.