Money and Productive Efficiency: Evidence from a High-Inflation Country
AbstractThis paper examines how money balances held by manufacturing firms affect their efficiency in generating sales revenue in a high-inflation economy. The analysis employs data from Turkish firms to estimate a stochastic frontier model, finding a strong positive association between the firms' money holdings and their efficiency. However, the role of money balances seems to diminish as firms hold higher raw material inventories.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Emerging Markets Finance and Trade.
Volume (Year): 43 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024
high inflation; inventories; manufacturing; money demand by firms; stochastic frontier estimation; Turkey;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erdem Başçí & Ismail Saglam, 2005.
"Optimal money growth in a limited participation model with heterogeneous agents,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 91-108, 04.
- Erdem Basci & Ismail Saðlam, 2000. "Optimal Money Growth in A Limited Particpation Model with Heterogenous Agents," Departmental Working Papers 0004, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L., 1997.
"Sticky price and limited participation models of money: A comparison,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1201-1249, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1996. "Sticky Price and Limited Participation Models of Money: A Comparison," NBER Working Papers 5804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1996. "Sticky price and limited participation models of money: a comparison," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues WP-96-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1996. "Sticky price and limited participation models of money: a comparison," Staff Report 227, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Faruk Selcuk, 1997. "A Brief Account of the Turkish Economy, 1987-1996," Departmental Working Papers 971, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Fuerst, Timothy S., 1992. "Liquidity, loanable funds, and real activity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 3-24, February.
- Talavera, Oleksandr & Ozkan, Neslihan & Caglayan, Mustafa & Baum, Christopher F., 2004.
"The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Cash Holdings for Non-Financial Firms,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-10, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2004. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Cash Holdings for Non-Financial Firms," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 410, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christopher F Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan, 2003. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Cash Holdings for Non-Financial Firms," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 69, Society for Computational Economics.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2004. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Cash Holdings for Non–Financial Firms," Discussion Papers in Economics 04/19, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Alpay Filiztekin, 2001.
"Nonlinear Impact of Inflation on Relative Price Variability,"
2001_02, University of Liverpool Management School, revised 01 Oct 2002.
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Filiztekin, Alpay, 2003. "Nonlinear impact of inflation on relative price variability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 213-218, May.
- Domberger, Simon, 1987. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: A Disaggregated Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 547-66, June.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1974. "Money and the Production Function," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(4), pages 517-33, December.
- Jon Harkness, 1984. "Optimal Oil Pricing in a Small Open Economy: A Macro-economic Perspective," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 762-73, November.
- Simos, Evangelos O., 1981. "Real money balances as a productive input : Further evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 207-225.
- Dennis, Enid & Smith, V Kerry, 1978. "A Neoclassical Analysis of the Demand for Real Cash Balances by Firms," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 793-813, October.
- Hasan, M Aynul & Mahmud, Syed F, 1993. "Is Money an Omitted Variable in the Production Function? Some Further Results," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 431-45.
- Parsley, David C, 1996. "Inflation and Relative Price Variability in the Short and Long Run: New Evidence from the United States," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 323-41, August.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Sinai, Allen & Stokes, Houston H, 1972. "Real Money Balances: An Omitted Variable from the Production Functions?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 290-96, August.
- Jansen, Dennis W, 1985. "Real Balances in an Ad Hoc Keynesian Model and Policy Ineffectiveness: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(3), pages 378-86, August.
- Nourzad, Farrokh, 2002. "Real money balances and production efficiency: a panel-data stochastic production frontier study," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 125-134, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.