Nonlinear Impact of Inflation on Relative Price Variability
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the link between inflation and relative price variability, and the impact of structural changes in the behavior of inflation using a half-a-century long disaggregated data. Employing panel data techniques to control for aggregate shocks, we show that: 1) the effect of inflation is non-neutral: relative price variability has increased in inflationary as well as deflationary periods, 2) the association between inflation and relative price variability is highly nonlinear 3) there is strong support for menu cost models, but none for signal extraction models.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Liverpool Management School in its series Research Papers with number 2001_02.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision: 01 Oct 2002
Publication status: forthcoming, Economics Letters
Note: This paper was previously circulated as "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: New evidence from Turkey"
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Management School University of Liverpool, Chatham Street, Liverpool, L69 7ZH, Great Britain
Phone: +44(0)151 795 3108
Fax: +44(0)151 795 3004
Web page: http://www.liv.ac.uk/management/
More information through EDIRC
Inflation; Price variability; Nonlinearity; Panel data.;
Other versions of this item:
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Filiztekin, Alpay, 2003. "Nonlinear impact of inflation on relative price variability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 213-218, May.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-04-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parks, Richard W, 1978. "Inflation and Relative Price Variability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 79-95, February.
- Lach, Saul & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1992. "The Behavior of Prices and Inflation: An Empirical Analysis of Disaggregated Price Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 349-89, April.
- Vining, Daniel R, Jr & Elwertowski, Thomas C, 1976. "The Relationship between Relative Prices and the General Price Level," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 699-708, September.
- Debelle, Guy & Lamont, Owen, 1997.
"Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from U.S. Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 132-52, February.
- Guy Debelle & Owen Lamont, 1996. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from US Cities," NBER Working Papers 5627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sascha S. Becker, 2011. "What Drives the Relationship Between Inflation and Price Dispersion? Market Power vs. Price Rigidity," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-019, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Muhammad Akmal, 2012. "The Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability in Pakistan," Working Papers id:4734, eSocialSciences.
- M. Angeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabus & Carlos Usabiaga, 2006.
"Relative prices and inflation: new evidence from different inflationary contexts,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(16), pages 1931-1944.
- Carlos Usabiaga. & MarÃa Ãngeles Caraballo & Carlos DabÃºs, 2004. "Relative Prices and Inflation: New Evidence from Different Inflationary Contexts," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 338, Econometric Society.
- María Ángeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabús & Carlos Usabiaga, 2004. "Relative Prices and Inflation: New Evidence from Different Inflationary Contexts," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/71, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Erdem BaÅÃ§i & Syed F. Mahmud & Eray M. Yucel, 2007. "Money and Productive Efficiency: Evidence from a High-Inflation Country," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(1), pages 64-73, February.
- Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2008. "Inflation Thresholds and Relative Price Variability: Evidence from U.S. Cities," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(3), pages 61-76, September.
- Dieter Nautz & Juliane Scharff, 2012.
"Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 449-460, February.
- Scharff, Juliane & Nautz, Dieter, 2006. "Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Filiztekin, Alpay & Rauh, Michael T., 2008.
"Inflation, price dispersion, and market structure,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1187-1208, October.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Alpay Filiztekin & Michael T. Rauh, 2003.
"Market Structure, Inflation, and Price Dispersion,"
2003_03, University of Liverpool Management School, revised 28 Apr 2004.
- Chi-Young Choi, 2010. "Reconsidering the Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(5), pages 769-798, 08.
- Saygın Şahinöz & Bedriye Saraçoğlu, 2011. "How do firms adjust their prices in Turkey? Micro-level evidence," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 601-621, May.
- María Ángeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabús., 2008. "The Determinants of Relative Price Variability: Further Evidence from Argentina," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(132), pages 235-255.
- Mª Ángeles Caraballo Pou & Carlos Dabús & Diego Caramuta, 2006. "A Non-linear "Inflation-Relative Prices Variability" Relationship: Evidence from Latin America," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2006/09, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Blackman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.