Nonlinear impact of inflation on relative price variability
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the link between inflation and relative price variability, and the impact of structural changes in the behavior of inflation using a half-a-century long disaggregated data. Employing panel data techniques to control for aggregate shocks, we show that: 1) the effect of inflation is non-neutral: relative price variability has increased in inflationary as well as deflationary periods, 2) the association between inflation and relative price variability is highly nonlinear 3) there is strong support for menu cost models, but none for signal extraction models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 79 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Mustafa Caglayan & Alpay Filiztekin, 2001. "Nonlinear Impact of Inflation on Relative Price Variability," Research Papers 2001_02, University of Liverpool Management School, revised 01 Oct 2002.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Debelle, Guy & Lamont, Owen, 1997.
"Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from U.S. Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 132-52, February.
- Guy Debelle & Owen Lamont, 1996. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from US Cities," NBER Working Papers 5627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lach, Saul & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1992. "The Behavior of Prices and Inflation: An Empirical Analysis of Disaggregated Price Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 349-89, April.
- Parks, Richard W, 1978. "Inflation and Relative Price Variability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 79-95, February.
- Vining, Daniel R, Jr & Elwertowski, Thomas C, 1976. "The Relationship between Relative Prices and the General Price Level," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 699-708, September.
- Erdem BaÅÃ§i & Syed F. Mahmud & Eray M. Yucel, 2007. "Money and Productive Efficiency: Evidence from a High-Inflation Country," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(1), pages 64-73, February.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Alpay Filiztekin & Michael T. Rauh, 2004.
"Market Structure, Inflation, and Price Dispersion,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
04/2, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Jun 2004.
- Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2008. "Inflation Thresholds and Relative Price Variability: Evidence from U.S. Cities," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(3), pages 61-76, September.
- Scharff, Juliane & Nautz, Dieter, 2006.
"Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Dieter Nautz & Juliane Scharff, 2012. "Inflation and relative price variability in the euro area: evidence from a panel threshold model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 449-460, February.
- Sascha S. Becker, 2011. "What Drives the Relationship Between Inflation and Price Dispersion? Market Power vs. Price Rigidity," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-019, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Muhammad Akmal, 2012. "The Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability in Pakistan," Working Papers id:4734, eSocialSciences.
- María Ángeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabús., 2008. "The Determinants of Relative Price Variability: Further Evidence from Argentina," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(132), pages 235-255.
- Mª Ángeles Caraballo Pou & Carlos Dabús & Diego Caramuta, 2006. "A Non-linear "Inflation-Relative Prices Variability" Relationship: Evidence from Latin America," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2006/09, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Carlos Usabiaga. & MarÃa Ãngeles Caraballo & Carlos DabÃºs, 2004.
"Relative Prices and Inflation: New Evidence from Different Inflationary Contexts,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
338, Econometric Society.
- M. Angeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabus & Carlos Usabiaga, 2006. "Relative prices and inflation: new evidence from different inflationary contexts," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(16), pages 1931-1944.
- María Ángeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabús & Carlos Usabiaga, 2004. "Relative Prices and Inflation: New Evidence from Different Inflationary Contexts," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/71, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Filiztekin, Alpay & Rauh, Michael T., 2008.
"Inflation, price dispersion, and market structure,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1187-1208, October.
- Saygın Şahinöz & Bedriye Saraçoğlu, 2011. "How do firms adjust their prices in Turkey? Micro-level evidence," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 601-621, May.
- Chi-Young Choi, 2010. "Reconsidering the Relationship between Inflation and Relative Price Variability," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(5), pages 769-798, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.