Nonlinear Impact of Inflation on Relative Price Variability
In this paper we investigate the link between inflation and relative price variability, and the impact of structural changes in the behavior of inflation using a half-a-century long disaggregated data. Employing panel data techniques to control for aggregate shocks, we show that: 1) the effect of inflation is non-neutral: relative price variability has increased in inflationary as well as deflationary periods, 2) the association between inflation and relative price variability is highly nonlinear 3) there is strong support for menu cost models, but none for signal extraction models.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:||01 Oct 2002|
|Publication status:||forthcoming, Economics Letters|
|Note:||This paper was previously circulated as "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: New evidence from Turkey"|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44(0)151 795 3108
Fax: +44(0)151 795 3004
Web page: http://www.liv.ac.uk/management/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parks, Richard W, 1978. "Inflation and Relative Price Variability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 79-95, February.
- Guy Debelle & Owen Lamont, 1996.
"Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from US Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
5627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Debelle, Guy & Lamont, Owen, 1997. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from U.S. Cities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 132-52, February.
- Vining, Daniel R, Jr & Elwertowski, Thomas C, 1976. "The Relationship between Relative Prices and the General Price Level," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 699-708, September.
- Lach, Saul & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1992. "The Behavior of Prices and Inflation: An Empirical Analysis of Disaggregated Price Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 349-89, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:liv:livedp:2001_02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Blackman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.