The Intra-Industry Trade of the Czech Republic in the Economic Transition
AbstractIn this paper, we provide an overview of the development of Czech trade and its structure and investigate the nature of Czech intra-industry trade (IIT) and its labor market determinants. We evaluate the evolution of the Czech trade in the context of other transition economies--the Central European Free Trade Agreement (CEFTA) countries, the Baltic countries, and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). In our analysis, we use decomposition of IIT into vertical and horizontal components. The Czech Grubel-Lloyd index (GLI) of 75 percent at the SITC two-digit level is still somehow lower than the values for comparable EU countries, but this difference is not high. This indicates a relatively high level of Czech integration into European and world economies. This result is supported by the comparison of IIT in the trade between the European Union and seven European transition economies undertaken by Fidrmuc (2000), showing that the Czech Republic has the highest IIT out of all these countries. Also, the structure of Czech IIT with respect to its horizontal and vertical elements is comparable with the structure of IIT in EU countries. The results of our cross-industry analysis of labor market determinants of IIT show that qualitative characteristics of the labor force are statistically significant predictors for IIT after controlling for time changes and character of industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Emerging Markets Finance and Trade.
Volume (Year): 40 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024
economic transition; intra-industry trade; labor;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Jan Fidrmuc, 2000.
"Disintegration and Trade,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
353, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Jan Fidrmuc, 2001. "Disintegration and Trade," LICOS Discussion Papers 9901, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 2000. "Disintegration and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 2641, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Fidrmuc, Jan, 2001. "Disintegration and trade," ZEI Working Papers B 24-2001, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Daniela Grozea-Helmenstein & Andreas Wörgötter, 1999. "East-west intra-industry trade dynamics," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 332-346, June.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Ferto, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2002.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Horizontally and Vertically Differentiated Agri-Food Products between Hungary and the EU,"
2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain
24884, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Imre Ferto & Lionel J. Hubbard, 2002. "Intra-industry trade in horizontally and vertically differentiated agrifood products between Hungary and the EU," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0202, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Imperfect competition and international trade: Evidence from fourteen industrial countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Karel Janda & Daniel Münich, 2002. "The czech intra-industry trade and its labor market determinants," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2002(2).
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999.
"The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
1, European Economy Group.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000. "The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Brulhart, Marius, 2000. "Dynamics of Intraindustry Trade and Labor-Market Adjustment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 420-35, August.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2000. "Restructuring European union trade with central and eastern European countries," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(1), pages 83-92, March.
- Vladimír Tomšík & Eva Zamrazilová, 2000. "Czech foreign trade in the nineties: adaptation to developed markets," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2000(4).
- Pablo M Garcia, 2003.
"Measuring Willingness-To-Pay in Discrete Choice Models with Semi- Parametric Techniques,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2003_03, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Pablo M Garcia, 2005. "Measuring Willingness-To-Pay In Discrete Choice Models With Semi- Parametric Techniques," Industrial Organization 0504022, EconWPA.
- Pablo M Garcia, 2005. "Measuring Willingness-To-Pay in Discrete Choice Models with Semi- Parametric Techniques," Econometrics 0504007, EconWPA.
- Joanna Kuczewska & Maciej Krzeminski, 2011. "Regional constructed advantages – case of Pomeranian Region in Poland," Working Papers 1105, Economics of European Integration Department, Faculty of Economics, University of Gdansk, Poland.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2005. "Trade Structure during Accession to the EU," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 225-234.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Jan Pokrivcak, 2008.
"Comparative Advantages, Transaction Costs and Factor Content of Agricultural Trade: Empirical Evidence from the CEE,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2008_03, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Pokrivcak, Jan, 2011. "Comparative Advantages, Transaction Costs and Factor Content in Agricultural Trade: Empirical Evidence from the CEE - Vantaggi comparati, costi di transazione e contenuto dei fattori nel commercio agr," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 64(1), pages 67-101.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Pokrivcak, Jan, 2008. "Comparative Advantages, Transaction Costs and Factor Content in Agricultural Trade: Empirical Evidence from the CEE," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44135, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Valerija Botric, 2012. "Intra-industry Trade between the European Union and Western Balkans: A Close-up," Working Papers 1202, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb.
- Tomasz Brodzicki, 2011. "Handel zagraniczny panstw Grupy Wyszehradzkiej. Zmiany strukturalne i rola handlu wewnatrzgaleziowego," Working Papers 1104, Economics of European Integration Department, Faculty of Economics, University of Gdansk, Poland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.