Handel zagraniczny panstw Grupy Wyszehradzkiej. Zmiany strukturalne i rola handlu wewnatrzgaleziowego
AbstractThe goal of this article is to investigate structural adjustments in trade relations of the Visegrad countries resulting from their accession into the European Union and advanced stage of economic transition. Particular emphasis is placed on the similarity of adjustments in geographic trade patterns, the intensity and nature of intra-industry trade flows and their decomposition into horizontal and vertical IIT with up-market and down-market specialization. The paper utilizes a novel approach proposed by Ito and Okubo (2011) using the full information on price differentials in imports and exports to calculate unit value differences measure of intra-industry trade. The method brings a considerable improvement in comparison to previous methods. The empirical results for this particular group of small open-economies are compared with theoretical postulates of new trade theories. English summary. Paper in Polish.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics of European Integration Department, Faculty of Economics, University of Gdansk, Poland in its series Working Papers with number 1104.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
international trade; intra-industry trade; Visehrad group; up-market specialization; down-market specialization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tomasz Brodzicki, 2009. "Extended Gravity Panel Data Model of Polish Foreign Trade," Working Papers 0901, Economics of European Integration Department, Faculty of Economics, University of Gdansk, Poland.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2007.
"Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes,"
NBER Working Papers
12927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2008. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 441-487, 05.
- Rubinstein, Yona & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," Scholarly Articles 3228230, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Karel Janda & Daniel Münich, 2004. "The Intra-Industry Trade of the Czech Republic in the Economic Transition," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(2), pages 27-50, March.
- Neven, Damien, 1995. "Trade liberalisation with Eastern nations: Some distribution issues," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 622-632, April.
- Tadashi Ito & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "New Aspects of Intra-Industry trade: Evidence from EU-15 countries," Discussion Paper Series DP2011-02, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Joan Martín-Montaner & Vicente Ríos, 2002. "Vertical specialization and intra-industry trade: The role of factor endowments," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 340-365, June.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tomasz Brodzicki) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Tomasz Brodzicki to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.