Evolución del Comercio Intraindustrial entre las regiones colombianas y la Comunidad Andina, 1990-2004: un análisis comparativo
AbstractThis paper measures and compares the Intraindustry Trade (IIT) levels between Colombia and its main economic regions with the Andean Community (AC). It finds that this trade has been overestimated in previous studies due to geographical and aggregation biases. The nature of IIT is predominantly vertical, where Colombia is found to produce higher quality varieties. As for the regions, the “center” provinces of each region explain the largest part of the sector composition of the most significant IIT flows with the AC. This result evidences the strong relationship between IIT and regional development, which is found to be more relevant than other factors such as geographical proximity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4936.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
intraindustry trade; Andean Community; regional economics; international trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Ana Isabel Moreno Monroy & Héctor Mauricio Posada Duque, 2007. "Evolución del Comercio Intraindustrial entre las regiones colombianas y la Comunidad Andina, 1990-2004: un análisis comparativo," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 66, pages 83-118, Enero-Jun.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan David Barón Rivera, 2002. "Las regiones económicas de Colombia: un análisis de clusters," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 003125, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Jorge Selaive, 1998. "Comercio Intraindustrial en Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 44, Central Bank of Chile.
- Joan Martín-Montaner & Vicente Ríos, 2002. "Vertical specialization and intra-industry trade: The role of factor endowments," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 340-365, June.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Competition and Product Variety," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(3), pages S79-103, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.