Comercio Intraindustrial en Chile
AbstractThis paper presents the evolution of Chilean intra-industry trade (IIT) from 1985 to 1996, and estimates it’s degree of horizontal and vertical differentiation. Additionally, using measures of intra-industry trade we estimate the participation of low adjustment cost trade in the growth of total trade. Finally, we estimate the effects of bilateral trade agreements on IIT for the sample of countries considered. The results allow us to conclude that IIT has increased until the early 90s, and has sustained a participation of approximately 20% during the present decade. The highest levels of IIT have been achieved with geographical neighbours. This seems to support the policy followed by the government, since liberalisation programs have been primarily oriented to neighbouring countries. Chilean IIT can be characterised as vertical, which means that IIT with the rest of the world is mainly of manufactures of different qualities that are classified as the same. After correcting IIT to measure the participation of non-disruptive IIT, we can observe that 82% of the growth of trade has been inter-industrial, and that it has generated more adjustment costs than the remaining 18% that was intra-industrial.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 44.
Date of creation: Dec 1998
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mónica Rivera, 2014. "Trade patterns in the process of European integration: Evidence for the intraindustrial exchanges of a Mediterranean peripheral region," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 227-249, January.
- Ana Isabel, Moreno & Hector Mauricio, Posada, 2006.
"Evolución del Comercio Intraindustrial entre las regiones colombianas y la Comunidad Andina, 1990-2004: un análisis comparativo,"
4936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ana Isabel Moreno Monroy & Héctor Mauricio Posada Duque, 2007. "Evolución del Comercio Intraindustrial entre las regiones colombianas y la Comunidad Andina, 1990-2004: un análisis comparativo," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 66, pages 83-118, Enero-Jun.
- Moreno Monroy, Ana Isabel & Posada D., Héctor Mauricio, 2007. "Evolución del Comercio Intraindustrial entre las regiones colombianas y la Comunidad Andina, 1990-2004: un análisis comparativo," REVISTA LECTURAS DE ECONOMÍA, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Carolina Caicedo Marulanda & Jhon James Mora Rodríguez, 2011. "Comercio intraindustrial Colombia-Estados Unidos. El caso de los bienes altamente tecnológicos," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.