Advanced Search
MyIDEAS: Login to save this paper or follow this series

Comercio Intraindustrial en Chile

Contents:

Author Info

  • Jorge Selaive

Abstract

This paper presents the evolution of Chilean intra-industry trade (IIT) from 1985 to 1996, and estimates it’s degree of horizontal and vertical differentiation. Additionally, using measures of intra-industry trade we estimate the participation of low adjustment cost trade in the growth of total trade. Finally, we estimate the effects of bilateral trade agreements on IIT for the sample of countries considered. The results allow us to conclude that IIT has increased until the early 90s, and has sustained a participation of approximately 20% during the present decade. The highest levels of IIT have been achieved with geographical neighbours. This seems to support the policy followed by the government, since liberalisation programs have been primarily oriented to neighbouring countries. Chilean IIT can be characterised as vertical, which means that IIT with the rest of the world is mainly of manufactures of different qualities that are classified as the same. After correcting IIT to measure the participation of non-disruptive IIT, we can observe that 82% of the growth of trade has been inter-industrial, and that it has generated more adjustment costs than the remaining 18% that was intra-industrial.

Download Info

If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
File URL: http://www.bcentral.cl/estudios/documentos-trabajo/pdf/dtbc44.pdf
Download Restriction: no

Bibliographic Info

Paper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 44.

as in new window
Length:
Date of creation: Dec 1998
Date of revision:
Handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:44

Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC

Related research

Keywords:

References

No references listed on IDEAS
You can help add them by filling out this form.

Citations

Citations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
as in new window

Cited by:
  1. Mónica Rivera, 2014. "Trade patterns in the process of European integration: Evidence for the intraindustrial exchanges of a Mediterranean peripheral region," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 227-249, January.
  2. Ana Isabel, Moreno & Hector Mauricio, Posada, 2006. "Evolución del Comercio Intraindustrial entre las regiones colombianas y la Comunidad Andina, 1990-2004: un análisis comparativo," MPRA Paper 4936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
  3. Carolina Caicedo Marulanda & Jhon James Mora Rodríguez, 2011. "Comercio intraindustrial Colombia-Estados Unidos. El caso de los bienes altamente tecnológicos," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID.

Lists

This item is not listed on Wikipedia, on a reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.

Statistics

Access and download statistics

Corrections

When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).

If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.

If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.

If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.