On the Effects of Deposit Insurance and Observability on Bank Runs: An Experimental Study
AbstractWe study the effects of deposit insurance and observability of previous actions on the emergence of bank runs by means of a controlled laboratory experiment. We consider three depositors in the line of a bank, who decide between withdrawing or keeping their money deposited. We have three treatments with different levels of deposit insurance which reflect the losses a depositor may incur in the case of a bank run. We find that different levels of deposit insurance and the possibility of observing other depositorsâ actions affect the likelihood of bank runs. When decisions are not observable, higher levels of deposit insurance decrease the probability of bank runs. When decisions are observable, this is not the case. These results suggest that (i) observability might be considered as a partial substitute of deposit insurance, and that (ii) the optimal deposit insurance should take into account the degree of observability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
Other versions of this item:
- Alfonso Rosa García & Hubert Janos Kiss & Ismael Rodríguez Lara, 2011. "On the effects of deposit insurance and observability on bank runs: an experimental study," Working Papers. Serie AD 2011-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hubert Janoss Kiss & Ismael Rodriguez Lara & Alfonso Rosa Garcia, 2011. "On the Effects of Deposit Insurance and Observability on Bank Runs: An Experimental Study," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0211, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- C90 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serguei Maliar & Lilia Maliar & Kenneth L. Judd, 2010.
"Solving the Multi-Country Real Business Cycle Model Using Ergodic Set Methods,"
NBER Working Papers
16304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maliar, Serguei & Maliar, Lilia & Judd, Kenneth, 2011. "Solving the multi-country real business cycle model using ergodic set methods," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 207-228, February.
- Kenneth Judd & Lilia Maliar & Serguei Maliar, 2011. "Solving the multi-country real business cycle model using ergodic set methods," Working Papers. Serie AD 2011-01, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Markus Kinateder & Hubert Janos Kiss, 2012. "Sequential decisions in the Diamond-Dybvig banking model," Working Papers. Serie AD 2012-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Martin Brown & Stefan Trautmann & Razvan Vlahu, 2012.
"Contagious Bank Runs: Experimental Evidence,"
DNB Working Papers
363, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Garcia-Rosa, Alfonso & Kiss, Hubert Janos & Rodriguez-Lara, Ismael, 2010.
"Do Social Networks Prevent Bank Runs?,"
UMUFAE Economics Working Papers
9723, DIGITUM. Universidad de Murcia.
- Alfonso Rosa García & Hubert Janos Kiss & Ismael Rodríguez Lara, 2009. "Do social networks prevent bank runs?," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-25, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hubert Janos Kiss & Ismael Rodriguez-Lara & Alfonso Rosa-Garcia, 2012. "Do Social Networks Prevent Bank Runs?," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0812, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- Claudia Lambert & Felix Noth & Ulrich Schüwer, 2013. "How Do Insured Deposits Affect Bank Risk?: Evidence from the 2008 Emergency Economic Stabilization Act," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1347, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lambert, Claudia & Noth, Felix & Schüwer, Ulrich, 2013. "How do insured deposits affect bank risk? Evidence from the 2008 emergency economic stabilization act," SAFE Working Paper Series 38, Center of Excellence SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.