The Impact of Trade Integration on Business Cycle Synchronization for Mercosur Countries
AbstractThis paper intends to evaluate empirically the impact of reduced trade barriers and increased trade on the synchronization of business cycles. It draws on Frankel and Rose (1998) who reassessed the Mundellian criteria on Optimum Currency Areas (OCAs) and considered their application to be untenable given that trade integration and cycle synchronization may be endogenous. This research aims to test this hypothesis for Mercosur countries. Using a quarterly panel dataset spanning the members since the establishment of the free trade area (FTA) in 1991 until 2008, the empirical findings indicate a positive effect, implying intra-industry trade
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cattaneo University (LIUC) in its journal The European Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Corso Matteotti 22 - Castellanza (VA) 21053
Phone: +39 (0)331-572 1
Fax: +39 (0)331-572 320
Web page: http://eaces.liuc.it/default.asp
More information through EDIRC
Trade Integration; Business Cycle Synchronization; Mercosur;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Abbott & Joshy Easaw & Tao Xing, 2008. "Trade Integration and Business Cycle Convergence: Is the Relation Robust across Time and Space?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(2), pages 403-417, 06.
- George S. Tavlas, 2009. "Optimum-Currency-Area Paradoxes," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 536-551, 08.
- Piotr Misztal, 2013. "International trade and business cycle synchronization in Poland, the European Union and the Euro Zone," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 7(3), October.
- Gaddis, Isis & Pieters, Janneke, 2012. "Trade Liberalization and Female Labor Force Participation: Evidence from Brazil," IZA Discussion Papers 6809, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.