European integration: what lessons for other regions? The case of Latin America
AbstractThis paper tests for the hypothesis that institutional integration interacts with economic integration at the regional level. In particular, we ask what lessons can be drawn from the European experience with regional integration for Latin America. Several indicators of institutional and economic integration for both the EU and Latin America are presented. We find that Latin America is currently less economically integrated not only than the European Union today, but in some cases even than the EU at the beginning of its regional integration process. A cluster analysis illustrates that the link between institutional and economic integration has worked both ways throughout the whole EU experience. The more institutional integration went beyond the creation of a customs union and moved towards a common market and an economic and monetary union, the deeper economic integration turned out. Increasing economic integration in turn corroborated and sustained the process of institutional integration. JEL Classification: E42, F15, F33, F41
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0185.
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milesi-Ferretti, G-M & Razin, A, 1996. "Current-Account Sustainability," Princeton Studies in International Economics 81, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Flam, H. & Jansson, P., 2000.
"EMU Effects on International Trade and Investment,"
180, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
Economics Working Papers
92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," NBER Working Papers 3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baxter, Marianne & Stockman, Alan C., 1989. "Business cycles and the exchange-rate regime : Some international evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 377-400, May.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990.
"One Money for Europe? Lessons from the US Currency Union,"
Economics Working Papers
90-132, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990. "One Money for Europe? Lessons from the US Currency Union," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6ks1k831, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1997. "Is EMU more justifiable ex post than ex ante?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 753-760, April.
- Paul Masson, 1999.
"Multiple equilibria, contagion, and the emerging market crises,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Paul R. Masson, 1999. "Multiple Equilibria, Contagion, and the Emerging Market Crises," IMF Working Papers 99/164, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1999.
"Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows: Evidence from the European Union,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 5.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1998. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows - Evidence from the European Union," IMF Working Papers 98/107, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrique Alberola & Ana Buisán & Santiago Fernández de Lis, 2002. "The quest for nominal and real convergence through integration in Europe and Latin America," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0213, Banco de Espa�a.
- Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2002.
""New" views on the optimum currency area theory: what is EMU telling us?,"
Working Paper Series
0138, European Central Bank.
- Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2002. "ìNew" Views on the Optimum Currency Area Theory: What is EMU Telling US?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 140, Royal Economic Society.
- Fleming, J Marcus, 1971. "On Exchange Rate Unification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(323), pages 467-88, September.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Bayoumi, Tamim, 1996.
"Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt5dt9501s, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1996. "Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C96-078, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Bayoumi, Tamim, 1996. "Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5th597st, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Andrew Atkeson & Tamim Bayoumi, 1993. "Do private capital markets insure regional risk? Evidence from the United States and Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 303-324, September.
- Arize, Augustine C. & Osang, Thomas & Slottje, Daniel J., 2008. "Exchange-rate volatility in Latin America and its impact on foreign trade," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 33-44.
- Kenen, Peter B & Rodrik, Dani, 1986. "Measuring and Analyzing the Effects of Short-term Volatility in Real Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 311-15, May.
- Alicia García Herrero & Javier Santillan Fraile & Sonsoles Gallego Herrero & Lucía Cuadro Sáez & Carlos Egea Martínez, 2003.
"Latin American Financial Development In Perspective,"
- Alicia García Herrero & Javier Santillán & Sonsoles Gallego & Lucía Cuadro & Carlos Egea, 2002. "Latin American Financial Development in Perspective," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0216, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ranil Salgado & Luca Antonio Ricci & Francesco Caramazza, 2000. "Trade and Financial Contagion in Currency Crises," IMF Working Papers 00/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Anderton, Robert & Skudelny, Frauke, 2001. "Exchange rate volatility and euro area imports," Working Paper Series 0064, European Central Bank.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," NBER Working Papers 5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R, 1993. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Depress Trade Flows? Evidence from Error-Correction Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 700-706, November.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Cushman, David O., 1988. "U.S. bilateral trade flows and exchange risk during the floating period," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 317-330, May.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Winckler, Georg, 2002.
"Monetary union: European lessons, Latin American prospects,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 297-321, December.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Winckler, Georg & Hochreiter, Eduard, 2002. "Monetary Union: European Lessons, Latin American Prospects," Working Papers 68, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Eduard Hochreiter & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Georg Winckler, 2002. "Monetary Union: European Lessons, Latin American Prospects," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 167, Central Bank of Chile.
- Anderton, R. & Skudelny, F., 2001. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Euro Area Imports," Papers 64, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Winters,L. Alan & Venables,Anthony (ed.), 1993. "European Integration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521435277, December.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2001. "Currency unions and trade: the effect is large," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(33), pages 449-461, October.
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2008.
"Financial services integration in East Asia: Lessons from the European Union,"
5308, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Pasadilla, Gloria O., 2008. "Financial Services Integration in East Asia: Lessons from the European Union," Discussion Papers DP 2008-31, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2008. "Financial Services Integration in East Asia : Lessons from the European Union," Finance Working Papers 22680, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2009.
"Systema Indikatorov Evraziyskoy Integracii
[The System of Indicators of Eurasian Integration]," MPRA Paper 20914, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pariwat Kanithasen & Vacharakoon Jivakanont & Charnon Boonnuch, 2011. "AEC 2015: Ambitions, Expectations and Challenges ASEAN's Path towards Greater Economic and Financial Integration," Working Papers 2011-03, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Pasquale Commendatore & Ingrid Kubin & Carmelo Petraglia & Iryna Sushko, 2014. "Regional integration, international liberalisation and the dynamics of industrial agglomeration," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp164, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Paola Caselli & Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "International specialization models in Latin America: the case of Argentina," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 558, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2010. "The System of Indicators of Eurasian Integration," MPRA Paper 22227, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Soyoung & Lee, Jong-Wha & Park, Cyn-Young, 2009.
"Emerging Asia: Decoupling or Recoupling,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
31, Asian Development Bank.
- Bob Deacon & Philippe De Lombaerde & Maria Cristina Macovei & Sonja Schröder, 2011. "Globalisation and the emerging regional governance of labour rights," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 334-365, July.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2004. "The United States as a Monetary Union and the Euro: A Historical Perspective," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 24(1-2), pages 163-170, Spring/Su.
- Aldaz-Carroll, Enrique, 2006. "Regional approaches to better standards systems," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3948, The World Bank.
- Yorgos Rizopoulos & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2004. "Peut-on mesurer le changement institutionnel du régime monétaire ?," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 75(2), pages 17-36.
- Itai Agur & Ettore Dorrucci & Francesco Mongelli, 2007. "Testing the Links between Institutional Integration and Trade Deepening: Clues from Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 18(5), pages 599-612, November.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Yorgos Rizopoulos, 2004. "Measuring the Institutional Change of the Monetary Regime in a Political Economy Perspective (Groups of interest and monetary variables during the Currency Board introduction in Bulgaria)," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp732, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.