European integration: what lessons for other regions? The case of Latin America
AbstractThis paper tests for the hypothesis that institutional integration interacts with economic integration at the regional level. In particular, we ask what lessons can be drawn from the European experience with regional integration for Latin America. Several indicators of institutional and economic integration for both the EU and Latin America are presented. We find that Latin America is currently less economically integrated not only than the European Union today, but in some cases even than the EU at the beginning of its regional integration process. A cluster analysis illustrates that the link between institutional and economic integration has worked both ways throughout the whole EU experience. The more institutional integration went beyond the creation of a customs union and moved towards a common market and an economic and monetary union, the deeper economic integration turned out. Increasing economic integration in turn corroborated and sustained the process of institutional integration. JEL Classification: E42, F15, F33, F41
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0185.
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alicia García Herrero & Javier Santillan Fraile & Sonsoles Gallego Herrero & Lucía Cuadro Sáez & Carlos Egea Martínez, 2003.
"Latin American Financial Development In Perspective,"
- Alicia García Herrero & Javier Santillán & Sonsoles Gallego & Lucía Cuadro & Carlos Egea, 2002. "Latin American Financial Development in Perspective," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0216, Banco de Espa�a.
- Flam, Harry & Jansson, Per, 2000.
"EMU Effects on International Trade and Investment,"
683, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Baxter, Marianne & Stockman, Alan C., 1989. "Business cycles and the exchange-rate regime : Some international evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 377-400, May.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1996.
"Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C96-078, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Bayoumi, Tamim, 1996. "Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5th597st, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Bayoumi, Tamim, 1996. "Ever Closer to Heaven? An Optimum-Currency-Area Index for European Countries," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt5dt9501s, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
NBER Working Papers
3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Anderton, R. & Skudelny, F., 2001. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Euro Area Imports," Papers 64, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Kenen, Peter B & Rodrik, Dani, 1986. "Measuring and Analyzing the Effects of Short-term Volatility in Real Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 311-15, May.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
NBER Working Papers
5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Atkeson & Tamim Bayoumi, 1993. "Do private capital markets insure regional risk? Evidence from the United States and Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 303-324, September.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Anderton, Robert & Skudelny, Frauke, 2001. "Exchange rate volatility and euro area imports," Working Paper Series 0064, European Central Bank.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990.
"One Money for Europe? Lessons from the US Currency Union,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt6ks1k831, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990. "One Money for Europe? Lessons from the US Currency Union," Economics Working Papers 90-132, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Winckler, Georg, 2002.
"Monetary union: European lessons, Latin American prospects,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 297-321, December.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Georg Winckler, 2002. "Monetary Union: European Lessons, Latin American Prospects," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 167, Central Bank of Chile.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Georg Winckler, 2002. "Monetary Union: European Lessons, Latin American Prospects," Working Papers 68, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Paul Masson, 1999.
"Multiple equilibria, contagion, and the emerging market crises,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Paul R. Masson, 1999. "Multiple Equilibria, Contagion, and the Emerging Market Crises," IMF Working Papers 99/164, International Monetary Fund.
- Ranil Salgado & Luca Antonio Ricci & Francesco Caramazza, 2000. "Trade and Financial Contagion in Currency Crises," IMF Working Papers 00/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R, 1993. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Depress Trade Flows? Evidence from Error-Correction Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 700-706, November.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1999.
"Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows: Evidence from the European Union,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 5.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1998. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows - Evidence from the European Union," IMF Working Papers 98/107, International Monetary Fund.
- Milesi-Ferretti, G-M & Razin, A, 1996. "Current-Account Sustainability," Princeton Studies in International Economics 81, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1997. "Is EMU more justifiable ex post than ex ante?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 753-760, April.
- Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2002.
"ìNew" Views on the Optimum Currency Area Theory: What is EMU Telling US?,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
140, Royal Economic Society.
- Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2002. ""New" views on the optimum currency area theory: what is EMU telling us?," Working Paper Series 0138, European Central Bank.
- Winters,L. Alan & Venables,Anthony (ed.), 1993. "European Integration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521435277, November.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2001. "Currency unions and trade: the effect is large," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(33), pages 449-461, October.
- Enrique Alberola & Ana Buisán & Santiago Fernández de Lis, 2002. "The quest for nominal and real convergence through integration in Europe and Latin America," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0213, Banco de Espa�a.
- Arize, Augustine C. & Osang, Thomas & Slottje, Daniel J., 2008. "Exchange-rate volatility in Latin America and its impact on foreign trade," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 33-44.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Cushman, David O., 1988. "U.S. bilateral trade flows and exchange risk during the floating period," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 317-330, May.
- Fleming, J Marcus, 1971. "On Exchange Rate Unification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(323), pages 467-88, September.
- Pariwat Kanithasen & Vacharakoon Jivakanont & Charnon Boonnuch, 2011. "AEC 2015: Ambitions, Expectations and Challenges ASEAN's Path towards Greater Economic and Financial Integration," Working Papers 2011-03, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2009.
"Systema Indikatorov Evraziyskoy Integracii
[The System of Indicators of Eurasian Integration]," MPRA Paper 20914, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2010. "The System of Indicators of Eurasian Integration," MPRA Paper 22227, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2004. "The United States as a Monetary Union and the Euro: A Historical Perspective," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 24(1-2), pages 163-170, Spring/Su.
- Aldaz-Carroll, Enrique, 2006. "Regional approaches to better standards systems," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3948, The World Bank.
- Pasadilla, Gloria, 2008.
"Financial Services Integration in East Asia: Lessons from the European Union,"
DP 2008-31, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2008. "Financial services integration in East Asia: Lessons from the European Union," Working Papers 5308, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2008. "Financial Services Integration in East Asia : Lessons from the European Union," Finance Working Papers 22680, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kim, Soyoung & Lee, Jong-Wha & Park, Cyn-Young, 2009.
"Emerging Asia: Decoupling or Recoupling,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
31, Asian Development Bank.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Yorgos Rizopoulos, 2004. "Measuring the Institutional Change of the Monetary Regime in a Political Economy Perspective (Groups of interest and monetary variables during the Currency Board introduction in Bulgaria)," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp732, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Itai Agur & Ettore Dorrucci & Francesco Mongelli, 2007. "Testing the Links between Institutional Integration and Trade Deepening: Clues from Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 18(5), pages 599-612, November.
- Yorgos Rizopoulos & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2004. "Peut-on mesurer le changement institutionnel du régime monétaire ?," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 75(2), pages 17-36.
- Bob Deacon & Philippe De Lombaerde & Maria Cristina Macovei & Sonja Schröder, 2011. "Globalisation and the emerging regional governance of labour rights," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 334-365, July.
- Paola Caselli & Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "International specialization models in Latin America: the case of Argentina," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 558, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.