A Variance Ratio Test of the Behaviour of Some FTSE Equity Indices Using Ranks and Signs
AbstractThis study utilises tests based on ranks and signs suggested by Wright (2000) in addition to the traditional variance ratio test to examine the behaviour of some UK Financial Times Stock Exchange (FTSE) stock indices. The results suggest that the null hypothesis of martingale difference behaviour of the index returns series examined in the study is rejected. The use of the nonparametric based variance ratio tests provide stronger evidence against the martingale difference behaviour than the conventional variance ratio tests, under conditions of both homoskedasticity and heteroskedasticity for the examined series. Moreover, the application of Wright’s variance ratio tests in a rolling window framework, indicates that the results for the FTSE returns are consistent neither with a linear AR assumption nor with the white noise hypothesis. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting.
Volume (Year): 24 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990
variance ratio; heteroskedasticity; ranks; signs; random walk; martingale difference;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001.
"The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
58, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2000. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1413, Econometric Society.
- Davidson, R. & Flachaire, E., 1999. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a32, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Working Papers 1000, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Belaire-Franch, Jorge & Opong, Kwaku K., 2005. "Some evidence of random walk behavior of Euro exchange rates using ranks and signs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1631-1643, July.
- Hsieh, David A, 1991. " Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamics: Application to Financial Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1839-77, December.
- Willey, Thomas, 1992. "Testing for nonlinear dependence in daily stock indices," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 63-76, February.
- Butler, Kirt C. & Malaikah, S. J., 1992. "Efficiency and inefficiency in thinly traded stock markets: Kuwait and Saudi Arabia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 197-210, February.
- Liu, Christina Y & He, Jia, 1991. " A Variance-Ratio Test of Random Walks in Foreign Exchange Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 773-85, June.
- Scheinkman, Jose A & LeBaron, Blake, 1989. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 311-37, July.
- Jorge Belaire-Franch, 2003. "A Note on Resampling the Integration Across the Correlation Integral with Alternative Ranges," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 337-349.
- Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, A. Craig, 1989.
"The size and power of the variance ratio test in finite samples : A Monte Carlo investigation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 203-238, February.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "The Size and Power of the Variance Ratio Test in Finite Samples: A Monte Carlo Investigation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Craig A. MacKinlay, . "The Size and Power of the Variance Ratio Test in Finite Samples: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 28-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Greene, Myron T. & Fielitz, Bruce D., 1977. "Long-term dependence in common stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 339-349, May.
- Philip Hamill & Kwaku Opong & Dan Sprevak, 2000. "The behaviour of Irish ISEQ index: some new empirical tests," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 693-700.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989.
"Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Fong, Wai Mun & Koh, Seng Kee & Ouliaris, Sam, 1997. "Joint Variance-Ratio Tests of the Martingale Hypothesis for Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 51-59, January.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Abhyankar, A & Copeland, L S & Wong, W, 1995. "Nonlinear Dynamics in Real-Time Equity Market Indices: Evidence from the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 864-80, July.
- Urrutia, Jorge L, 1995. "Tests of Random Walk and Market Efficiency for Latin American Emerging Equity Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(3), pages 299-309, Fall.
- Ayadi, O. Felix & Pyun, C. S., 1994. "An application of variance ratio test to the Korean securities market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 643-658, September.
- Errunza, Vihang, et al, 1994. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity and Global Stock Return Distributions," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 29(3), pages 293-317, August.
- Abhyankar, A & Copeland, L S & Wong, W, 1997. "Uncovering Nonlinear Structure in Real-Time Stock-Market Indexes: The S&P 500, the DAX, the Nikkei 225, and the FTSE-100," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 1-14, January.
- José Curto & José Pinto & Ana Morais & Isabel Lourenço, 2011. "The heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance estimator in accounting," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 427-449, November.
- Kim, Jae H. & Shamsuddin, Abul, 2008. "Are Asian stock markets efficient? Evidence from new multiple variance ratio tests," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 518-532, June.
- Kwame Addae-Dapaah & James Webb & Kim Ho & Yan Tan, 2010. "Industrial Real Estate Investment: Does the Contrarian Strategy Work?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 193-227, August.
- David McMillan & Pako Thupayagale, 2011. "Measuring volatility persistence and long memory in the presence of structural breaks: Evidence from African stock markets," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(3), pages 219-241, March.
- Fifield, Suzanne G.M. & Jetty, Juliana, 2008. "Further evidence on the efficiency of the Chinese stock markets: A note," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 351-361, September.
- Ntim, Collins G, 2012. "Why African Stock Markets Should Formally Harmonise and Integrate their Operations," MPRA Paper 45806, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chiang, Shu-Mei & Lee, Yen-Hsien & Su, Hsin-Mei & Tzou, Yi-Pin, 2010. "Efficiency tests of foreign exchange markets for four Asian Countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 284-294, September.
- Hiremath, Gourishankar S & Bandi, Kamaiah, 2012. "Variance ratios, structural breaks and nonrandom walk behaviour in the Indian stock returns," MPRA Paper 48710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Collins G. Ntim & Kwaku K. Opong & Jo Danbolt & Frank Senyo Dewotor, 2011. "Testing the weak-form efficiency in African stock markets," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(3), pages 195-218, March.
- Hung, Jui-Cheng, 2009. "Deregulation and liberalization of the Chinese stock market and the improvement of market efficiency," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 843-857, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.