Efficiency tests of foreign exchange markets for four Asian Countries
AbstractThis paper uses the traditional variance ratio test of Lo and MacKinlay (1988, 1989), the non-parametric-based variance ratio test of Wright (2000) and the multiple-variance ratio test of Chow and Denning (1993), to re-examine the validity of the weak form efficient market hypothesis for foreign exchange markets in four floating-rate markets in neighboring Asian economies (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and the Philippines). The results show that the random walk patterns of the exchange rate return series cannot be rejected, with the one exception of Taiwan, where inefficiency is shown to be most prominent. We therefore conclude that the foreign exchange markets of Japan, South Korea and the Philippines are weak form efficient, while the foreign exchange market of Taiwan is inefficient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in International Business and Finance.
Volume (Year): 24 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf
Floating exchange rate Variance ratio test Multiple-variance ratio test Random walk;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kun-Ming CHEN & Hsiu-Hua RAU & Chia-Ching LIN, 2006. "The Impact Of Exchange Rate Movements On Foreign Direct Investment: Market-Oriented Versus Cost-Oriented," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(3), pages 269-287.
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Seo, Byeongseon, 2003. "The impact of the Asian financial crisis on foreign exchange market efficiency: The case of East Asian countries," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 509-525, September.
- Patricia Alvarez-Plata & Mechthild Schrooten, 2006.
"The Argentinean Currency Crisis: A Markov-Switching Model Estimation,"
The Developing Economies,
Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(1), pages 79-91.
- Patricia Alvarez-Plata & Mechthild Schrooten, 2003. "The Argentinean Currency Crisis: A Markov-Switching Model Estimation," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 348, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Eduardo Jose Araujo Lima & Benjamin Miranda Tabak, 2004. "Tests of the random walk hypothesis for equity markets: evidence from China, Hong Kong and Singapore," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 255-258.
- Wright, Jonathan H, 2000.
"Alternative Variance-Ratio Tests Using Ranks and Signs,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Wright's Alternative Variance Ratio test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00168, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jorge Belaire-Franch & Kwaku Opong, 2005. "A Variance Ratio Test of the Behaviour of Some FTSE Equity Indices Using Ranks and Signs," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-107, January.
- Andrew W. Lo & Craig A. MacKinlay, .
"The Size and Power of the Variance Ratio Test in Finite Samples: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
28-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, A. Craig, 1989. "The size and power of the variance ratio test in finite samples : A Monte Carlo investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 203-238, February.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "The Size and Power of the Variance Ratio Test in Finite Samples: A Monte Carlo Investigation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland Füss, 2005. "Financial Liberalization and Stock Price Behaviour in Asian Emerging Markets," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 37-62, 03.
- Chow, K. Victor & Denning, Karen C., 1993.
"A simple multiple variance ratio test,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 385-401, August.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWDENNING: RATS procedure to perform Chow-Denning multiple variance ratio test," Statistical Software Components RTS00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olekalns, Nilss & Wilkins, Nigel, 1998. "Re-examining the Evidence for Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 74(224), pages 54-61, March.
- Liu, Christina Y & He, Jia, 1991. " A Variance-Ratio Test of Random Walks in Foreign Exchange Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 773-85, June.
- Olivier Darné & Jean-François Hoarau, 2007. "Further Evidence On Mean Reversion In The Australian Exchange Rate," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 383-395, October.
- Kunimune, Kozo, 1999. "Exchange Rate Stabilization and IMF High Interest Rate Policy: A Critical Reconsideration Using a Dynamic Model," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO), vol. 37(3), pages 337-354, September.
- Azad, A.S.M. Sohel, 2009. "Random walk and efficiency tests in the Asia-Pacific foreign exchange markets: Evidence from the post-Asian currency crisis data," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 322-338, September.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Ainul Islam & Mohammed Khaled, 2005. "Tests of Weak-Form Efficiency of the Dhaka Stock Exchange," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1613-1624.
- Darrat, Ali F & Zhong, Maosen, 2000. "On Testing the Random-Walk Hypothesis: A Model-Comparison Approach," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(3), pages 105-24, August.
- Osamah M. Al-Khazali & David K. Ding & Chong Soo Pyun, 2007. "A New Variance Ratio Test of Random Walk in Emerging Markets: A Revisit," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 303-317, 05.
- Kwong-C. Cheung & J. Andrew Coutts, 2001. "A note on weak form market efficiency in security prices: evidence from the Hong Kong stock exchange," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 407-410.
- Mussa, Michael, 1979. "Empirical regularities in the behavior of exchange rates and theories of the foreign exchange market," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 9-57, January.
- Henry, Olan T. & Olekalns, Nilss, 2002. "Does the Australian dollar real exchange rate display mean reversion," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 651-666, October.
- Kan, Denis & Andreosso-O'Callaghan, B., 2007. "Examination of the efficient market hypothesis--the case of post-crisis Asia Pacific countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 294-313, April.
- Hoque, Hafiz A.A.B. & Kim, Jae H. & Pyun, Chong Soo, 2007. "A comparison of variance ratio tests of random walk: A case of Asian emerging stock markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 488-502.
- Oh, Gabjin & Kim, Seunghwan & Eom, Cheoljun, 2007. "Market efficiency in foreign exchange markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 382(1), pages 209-212.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné & Jae H. Kim, 2010.
"Exchange-Rate Return Predictability and the Adaptive Markets Hypothesis: Evidence from Major Foreign Exchange Rates,"
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier & Kim, Jae H., 2012. "Exchange-rate return predictability and the adaptive markets hypothesis: Evidence from major foreign exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1607-1626.
- Al-Hajieh, Heitham & Redhead, Keith & Rodgers, Timothy, 2011. "Investor sentiment and calendar anomaly effects: A case study of the impact of Ramadan on Islamic Middle Eastern markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 345-356, September.
- Mobarek, Asma & Fiorante, Angelo, 2014. "The prospects of BRIC countries: Testing weak-form market efficiency," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 217-232.
- Azad, A.S.M. Sohel & Azmat, Saad & Fang, Victor & Edirisuriya, Piyadasa, 2014. "Unchecked manipulations, price–volume relationship and market efficiency: Evidence from emerging markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 51-71.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.