Price Squeezes in a Regulatory Environment
AbstractThis paper analyzes the relevance and the scope of price squeeze tests in a regulatory environment. We distinguish between three types of ex ante regulation (full, partial or no regulation) to identify regulatory squeezes, predatory squeezes, and squeezes as foreclosure. We argue that policy makers should (i) use price squeeze tests as an ex post instrument, compatible with the ex ante regulatory environment, and (ii) focus on predatory price squeezes. We propose a predatory squeeze test that respects regulatory choices that have been made previously, in contrast with the earlier proposed tests. We extend our framework to ask at which aggregation level predatory price squeeze tests ought to be applied, a much-debated issue in telecommunications. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
regulation; competition policy; utilities;
Other versions of this item:
- Bouckaert, Jan & Verboven, Frank, 2003. "Price Squeezes in a Regulatory Environment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3824, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- BOUCKAERT, Jan & VERBOVEN, Frank, 2003. "Price squeezes in a regulatory environment," Working Papers 2003007, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Economides, Nicholas, 1998. "The incentive for non-price discrimination by an input monopolist," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 271-284, May.
- Bolton, P. & Brodley, J.F. & Riordan, M.H., 1999. "Predatory Pricing: Strategic Theory and Legal Policy," Discussion Paper 1999-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1996. "Creating Competition through Interconnection: Theory and Practice," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 227-56, November.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2001. "The theory of access pricing and interconnection," MPRA Paper 15608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Armstrong, M. & Doyle, C. & Vickers, J., 1995.
"The access pricing problem: a synthesis,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9532, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Canoy, M.F.M. & Bijl, P.W.J. de & Kemp, R., 2003. "Access to telecommunications networks," Discussion Paper 2003-007, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Biglaiser, Gary & DeGraba, Patrick, 2001. "Downstream Integration by a Bottleneck Input Supplier Whose Regulated Wholesale Prices Are Above Costs," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(2), pages 302-15, Summer.
- Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2003.
"A Primer on Foreclosure,"
IDEI Working Papers
203, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Nov 2005.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001. "Competition in Telecommunications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262621509, December.
- Gaudiny, Germain & Saavedra Valenzuela, Claudia, 2012. "Ex-ante margin squeeze tests in the telecommunications industry: What is a reasonable efficient operator? (Revised: December 20, 2012)," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 67955, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Johan Stennek & Thomas Tangeras, 2008.
"Competition vs. Regulation in Mobile Telecommunications,"
08-09, NET Institute.
- Stennek, Johan & Tangerås, Thomas, 2006. "Competition vs. Regulation in Mobile Telecommunications," Working Paper Series 685, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Stennek, Johan & Tangerås, Thomas P., 2007. "Competition vs. Regulation in Mobile Telecommunications," CEPR Discussion Papers 6073, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.