Behavior towards health risks: An empirical study using the “Mad Cow” crisis as an experiment
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 35 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
Health risks; Health behavior; Intra-household decision; D1; D8; C3;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael D. Hurd & Kathleen McGarry, 2002.
"The Predictive Validity of Subjective Probabilities of Survival,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(482), pages 966-985, October.
- Michael D. Hurd & Kathleen McGarry, 1997. "The Predictive Validity of Subjective Probabilities of Survival," NBER Working Papers 6193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Gruber, 2001.
"Risky Behavior among Youths: An Economic Analysis,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number grub01-1, May.
- Becker, Gary S & Mulligan, Casey B, 1997. "The Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 729-58, August.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Michael D. Hurd & Daniel McFadden & Angela Merrill, 2001.
"Predictors of Mortality among the Elderly,"
in: Themes in the Economics of Aging, pages 171-198
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- FranÚois Bourguignon, 1999.
"The cost of children: May the collective approach to household behavior help?,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 503-521.
- Bourguignon, F., 1999. "The Cost of Children: May the Collective Approach to Household Behavior Help?," DELTA Working Papers 1999-01, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Chuma, Hiroyuki, 1990. "A Model of the Demand for Longevity and the Value of Life Extension," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(4), pages 761-82, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1970. "Habit Formation and Dynamic Demand Functions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 745-63, Part I Ju.
- Nichele, Veronique & Robin, Jean-Marc, 1995. "Simulation of indirect tax reforms using pooled micro and macro French data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 225-244, February.
- Antonanzas, Fernando, et al, 2000. " Smoking Risks in Spain: Part I--Perception of Risks to the Smoker," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 21(2-3), pages 161-86, November.
- Jérôme Adda & Francesca Cornaglia, 2006.
"Taxes, Cigarette Consumption, and Smoking Intensity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1013-1028, September.
- Adda, Jérôme & Cornaglia, Francesca, 2005. "Taxes, Cigarette Consumption and Smoking Intensity," IZA Discussion Papers 1849, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joni Hersch, 2001. "Cigarette Smokers As Job Risk Takers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 269-280, May.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Wesley A. Magat & Joel Huber, 1987. "An Investigation of the Rationality of Consumer Valuations of Multiple Health Risks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(4), pages 465-479, Winter.
- Farrell, Phillip & Fuchs, Victor R. & Fuchs, Victor R., 1982.
"Schooling and health : The cigarette connection,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 217-230, December.
- Andrew Chesher, 1997. "Diet Revealed?: Semiparametric Estimation of Nutrient Intake-Age Relationships," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 160(3), pages 389-428.
- Ahmed Khwaja & Frank Sloan & Sukyung Chung, 2006. "The Effects of Spousal Health on the Decision to Smoke: Evidence on Consumption Externalities, Altruism and Learning Within the Household," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 17-35, January.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1997. "Alarmist Decisions with Divergent Risk Information," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1657-70, November.
- Viscusi, W. Kip & Moore, Michael J., 1989. "Rates of time preference and valuations of the duration of life," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 297-317, April.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1990. "Do Smokers Underestimate Risks?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1253-69, December.
- Dan Anderberg & Arnaud Chevalier & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2009.
"Anatomy of a Health Scare: Education, Income and the MMR Controversy in the UK,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0929, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anderberg, Dan & Chevalier, Arnaud & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2011. "Anatomy of a health scare: Education, income and the MMR controversy in the UK," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 515-530, May.
- Anderberg, Dan & Chevalier, Arnaud & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2008. "Anatomy of a Health Scare: Education, Income and the MMR Controversy in the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 3590, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dan Anderberg & Arnaud Chevalier & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2009. "Anatomy of a health scare: education, income and the MMR controversy in the UK," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28600, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frank Sloan & Alyssa Platt, 2011. "Information, risk perceptions, and smoking choices of youth," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 161-193, April.
- Jin, Hyun Joung & Koo, Won W., 2003. "The Effect Of Food-Safety Related Information On Consumers' Preference: The Case Of Bse Outbreak In Japan," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22043, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Heikkila, Jaakko & Pouta, Eija & Forsman-Hugg, Sari & Makela, Johanna, 2011. "Consumer risk perceptions of zoonotic, chemical and gm risks: the case of poultry purchase intentions in Finland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114551, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jin, Hyun Joung & Skripnitchenko, Anatoliy & Koo, Won W., 2004. "The Effects Of The Bse Outbreak In The United States On The Beef And Cattle Industry," Special Reports 23072, North Dakota State University, Center for Agricultural Policy and Trade Studies.
- Yingheng Zhou & Erpeng Wang, 2011. "an consumers' attitudes towards the safety of milk powder after the melamine scandal in 2008 and the factors influencing the attitudes," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(1), pages 101-111, January.
- Turvey, Calum G. & Onyango, Benjamin M. & Hallman, William K. & Condry, Sarah C., 2007. "Consumers' Perception of Food-System Vulnerability to an Agroterrorist Attack," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 38(3), November.
- Heikkila, Jaakko & Pouta, Eija & Forsman-Hugg, Sari & Makela, Johanna, 2010. "Consumer Intentions Of Buying Poultry Meat Under Perceived Biological, Chemical Or Technological Risk In Finland," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116403, European Association of Agricultural Economists & Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pritchett, James G. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Johnson, Kamina K., 2005. "Animal Disease Economic Impacts: A Survey of Literature and Typology of Research Approaches," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 8(01).
- Ding, Yulian & Veeman, Michele M. & Adamowicz, Wiktor L., 2009. "BSE and the Dynamics of Beef Consumption: Influences of Habit and Trust," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49284, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Yeboah, Osei-Agyeman & Kebede, Ellene & Ofori-Boadu, Victor & Allen, Albert J., 2007. "BSE and the US Economy: Input-Output Model Perspective," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34877, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.