Smoking Risks in Spain: Part I--Perception of Risks to the Smoker
AbstractSurvey evidence for the Spanish population indicates that perceptions of lung cancer risk and life expectancy loss due to smoking are similar to estimates found in the United States. This paper also presents new evidence on the relative lung cancer risk for smokers, the perceived risk of lung disease for smokers, the heart disease risk for smokers, and the relative heart disease risk for smokers, all of which indicate substantial risk perceptions. Risk beliefs are particularly high for younger respondents, but are lower for better educated respondents. Copyright 2000 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 21 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nuria Badenes-Plá & Andrew M. Jones, 2003. "Addictive goods and taxes: A survey from an economic perspective," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 167(4), pages 123-153, December.
- Jerome Adda & Valérie Lechene, 2004.
"On the identification of the effect of smoking on mortality,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP13/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Valerie Lechene & Jerome Adda, 2004. "On the Identification of the Effect of Smoking on Mortality," Economics Series Working Papers 184, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Valerie Lechene & Jerome Adda, 2004. "On The Identification Of The Effect Of Smoking On Mortality," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 30, Royal Economic Society.
- Adda, Jérôme & Lechene, Valerie, 2011.
"Health Selection and the Effect of Smoking on Mortality,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6206, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jérôme Adda & Valérie Lechene, 2013. "Health Selection and the Effect of Smoking on Mortality," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 115(3), pages 902-931, 07.
- Jerome Adda & Valerie Lechene, 2012. "Health Selection and the Effect of Smoking on Mortality," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/02, European University Institute.
- Jérôme Adda, 2007. "Behavior towards health risks: An empirical study using the “Mad Cow” crisis as an experiment," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 285-305, December.
- Lundborg, Petter & Andersson, Henrik, 2008.
"Gender, risk perceptions, and smoking behavior,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1299-1311, September.
- Andersson, Henrik, 2008.
"Perception of Own Death Risk: A Reassessment of Road-Traffic Mortality Risk,"
2008:11, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- ANDERSSON Henrik, 2008. "Perception of Own Death Risk : A Reassessment of Road-Traffic Mortality Risk," LERNA Working Papers 08.26.270, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Georges Dionne & Claude Fluet & Denise Desjardins, 2007. "Predicted risk perception and risk-taking behavior: The case of impaired driving," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 237-264, December.
- Petter Lundborg, 2007. "Smoking, information sources, and risk perceptions—New results on Swedish data," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 217-240, June.
- Steven M. Suranovic, 2005. "An Economic Model of Youth Smoking: Tax and Welfare Effects," HEW 0511003, EconWPA.
- Joan Costa-Font & Joan Rovira, 2005. "When do smokers 'underestimate' smoking related mortality risks?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(13), pages 789-794.
- Fernando Antoñanzas & Roberto Rodríguez, 2007. "Tobacco policies in the European Union: a need for state and continental harmonisation?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 301-304, December.
- Andersson, Henrik & Lundborg, Petter, 2006. "Perception of Own Death Risk: An Analysis of Road-Traffic and Overall Mortality Risks," Working Papers 2006:1, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Frank Sloan & Alyssa Platt, 2011. "Information, risk perceptions, and smoking choices of youth," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 161-193, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.