Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications
AbstractWe develop a method for estimation of price reactions using unit value data which exploits the implicit links between quantity and unit value choices. This allows us to combine appealing Engel curve specifications with a model of unit value determination in a way which is consistent with demand theory, unlike methods hitherto prominent in the literature. The method is applied to Czech data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Fiscal Studies in its series IFS Working Papers with number W02/17.
Length: 35 pp
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://www.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE
Other versions of this item:
- Crawford, Ian & Laisney, Francois & Preston, Ian, 2003. "Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 221-241, June.
- Preston, Ian & Laisney, François & Crawford, Ian A., 2002. "Estimation of Household Demand Systems with Theoretically Compatible Engel Curves and Unit Value Specifications," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-06 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-MIC-2002-10-18 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lahatte, Agénor & Miquel, Ruth & Laisney, François & Preston, Ian, 1997.
"Demand Systems with Unit Values: A Comparsion of Two Specifications,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
97-24, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lahatte, Agenor & Miquel, Ruth & Laisney, Francois & Preston, Ian, 1998. "Demand systems with unit values:: A comparison of two specifications," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 281-290, March.
- Browning, Martin & Meghir, Costas, 1991. "The Effects of Male and Female Labor Supply on Commodity Demands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 925-51, July.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Identification and Estimation of Equivalence Scales under Weak Separability," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 311-16, April.
- Deaton, Angus, 1988.
"Quality, Quantity, and Spatial Variation of Price,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 418-30, June.
- Deaton, Angus, 1990.
"Price elasticities from survey data : Extensions and Indonesian results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 281-309, June.
- Deaton, A., 1990. "Price Elasticities From Surveys Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 69, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Deaton, A., 1988. "Price Elasticities From Survey Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 138, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1996. "Aggregation without Separability: A Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 524-43, June.
- Mohamed Ayadi & Jaya Krishnakumar & Mohamed Salah Matoussi, 2003. "Pooling surveys in the estimation of income and price elasticities: An application to Tunisian households," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 181-201, January.
- Arthur LEWBEL, 1993. "Stochastic Hicksian Aggregation with an Application to Grouping Goods without Separable Utility," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 29, pages 17-42.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Strauss, John, 1982. "Determinants of food consumption in rural Sierra Leone : Application of the quadratic expenditure system to the consumption-leisure component of a household-firm model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 327-353, December.
- Banks, James & Blundell, Richard & Lewbel, Arthur, 1996.
"Tax Reform and Welfare Measurement: Do We Need Demand System Estimation?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1227-41, September.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1994. "Tax reform and welfare measurement: do we need demand system estimation?," IFS Working Papers W94/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1993. "Bias in Estimating the Almost Ideal Demand System with the Stone Index Approximation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 908-15, July.
- Nichele, Veronique & Robin, Jean-Marc, 1995. "Simulation of indirect tax reforms using pooled micro and macro French data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 225-244, February.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1984. "A method of moments interpretation of sequential estimators," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 201-206.
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-65, July.
- Deaton, A. & Grimard, F., 1991. "Demand Analysis For Tax Reform In Pakistan," Papers 151, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Pitt, Mark M, 1983. "Food Preferences and Nutrition in Rural Bangladesh," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 105-14, February.
- Kodde, D A & Palm, Franz C & Pfann, G A, 1990. "Asymptotic Least-Squares Estimation Efficiency Considerations and Applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(3), pages 229-43, July-Sept.
- Capacci, Sara & Mazzocchi, Mario & Shankar, Bhavani, 2012. "The regional price of junk foods relative to healthy foods in the UK: indirect estimation of a time series, 1997-2009," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134720, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Xavier Irz, 2010.
"Modeling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data-with an application to Finland,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 293-304, 05.
- Irz, Xavier T., 2009. "Modelling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data – with an application to Finland," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50324, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dong, Diansheng & Kaiser, Harry M. & Myrland, Oystein, 2003. "Estimation Of Censored La/Aids Model With Endogenous Unit Values," Research Bulletins 122119, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Silva, Andres & Etilé, Fabrice & Jamet, Gaelle, 2013. "Consequences of the Five-a-Day Campaign: Evidence from French Panel Data," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150426, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Silva, Andres & Etilé, Fabrice & Boizot-Szantai, Christine & Dharmasena, Senarath, 2013. "The Impact of Beverage Taxes on Quantity and Quality of Consumption in France," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150428, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dimova, Ralitza & Gang, Ira N. & Gbakou, Monnet Benoit Patrick & Hoffman, Daniel, 2011.
"Can Economic Crises Be Good for Your Diet?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5610, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Boizot-Szantai, Christine & Etile, Fabrice, 2005. "The Food Prices / Body Mass Index Relationship: Theory and Evidence from a Sample of French Adults," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24734, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ralitza Dimova & Ira N. Gang & Monnet B. P. Gbakou & Daniel Hoffman, 2012. "The impact of food and economic crises on diet and nutrition," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 17512, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Chen, Yuyu & Xing, Weibo, 2011. "Quantity, quality, and regional price variation of cigarettes: Demand analysis based on a household survey in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 221-232, June.
- Mussa, Richard, 2014. "Do the Poor Pay More for Maize in Malawi?," MPRA Paper 54623, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Capacci, Sara & Mazzocchi, Mario, 2011. "Five-a-day, a price to pay: An evaluation of the UK program impact accounting for market forces," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 87-98, January.
- Timothy K. M. Beatty, 2008.
"Expenditure dispersion and dietary quality: evidence from Canada,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(9), pages 1001-1014.
- Timothy K.M. Beatty, 2007. "Expenditure Dispersion and Dietary Quality: Evidence from Canada," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 07/13, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Tefera, Nigussie, 2012. "Welfare Impacts of Rising Food Prices in Rural Ethiopia: a Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System Approach," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126698, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rémy Lambert & Bruno Larue & Clément Yélou & George Criner, 2006. "Fish and meat demand in Canada: Regional differences and weak separability," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 175-199.
- Tafere, Kibrom & Taffesse, Alemayehu Seyoum & Tamru, Seneshaw & Tefera, Nigussie & Paulos, Zelekawork, 2011. "Food demand elasticities in Ethiopia: Estimates using household income consumption expenditure (HICE) survey data," ESSP working papers 11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Meyerhoefer, Chad D. & Ranney, Christine K. & Sahn, David E., 2004. "Consistent Estimation Of Longitudinal Censored Demand Systems," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19992, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Castañon-Herrera, Alberto & Urzúa, Carlos M., 2012.
"The non-optimality of the Mexican indirect tax system,"
in: Fiscal Inclusive Development: Microsimulation Models for Latin America
Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- Castañón-Herrera, Alberto & Urzúa, Carlos M., 2011. "The non-optimality of the Mexican indirect tax system," EGAP Working Papers 2011-02, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- Shiyuan Chen & Sally Wallace, 2009. "Food Consumption in Jamaica: A Household and Social Behavior," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0901, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Stewart, Hayden & Blisard, Noel, 2006. "Household versus Community Effects: Who Really Pays More for Food?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21053, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Seavers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.