How should cultural diversity be measured? An application using the French publishing industry
AbstractDespite the lack of a clear definition of the concept, “cultural diversity” has remained a core issue for more than a decade (WTO, UNESCO, etc.). The aim of this paper is to begin to fill this gap. We argue that cultural diversity is a multi-dimensional concept and that accurate metrics must rely on three criteria: variety, balance and disparity. We also stress that supplied and consumed diversity have to be distinguished. We apply this set of multiple measures of diversity to publishing data for France over the period 1990–2003. Our main result is that the situation of the publishing industry in terms of cultural diversity is highly dependent on the dimension considered. Hence, diversity increases when variety is the sole consideration, whereas taking balance or disparity into account leads to the opposite conclusion. This issue raises a series of questions about the use of diversity measures in a policy debate concerned with furthering cultural diversity. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
L82; Z11; Books; Publishing industry; Diversity; Diversity measures; Cultural diversity; Cultural economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- Z11 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economics of the Arts and Literature
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2004.
"Beyond the Dogma of the Fixed Book Price Agreement,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2003. "Beyond the Dogma of the Fixed Book Price Agreement," CESifo Working Paper Series 949, CESifo Group Munich.
- Victor Ginsburgh, 2003.
"Awards, Success and Aesthetic Quality in the Arts,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 99-111, Spring.
- GINSBURGH, Victor, . "Awards, success and aesthetic quality in the arts," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1616, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Victor Ginsburgh, 2003. "Awards, success and aesthetic quality in the arts," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1679, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marcel F. M. Canoy & Jan C. van Ours & Frederick van der Ploeg, 2005.
"The Economics of Books,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1414, CESifo Group Munich.
- Canoy, M.F.M. & Ours, J.C. van & Ploeg, F. van der, 2005. "The Economics of Books," Discussion Paper 2005-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Canoy, Marcel & van der Ploeg, Frederick & van Ours, Jan C, 2005. "The Economics of Books," CEPR Discussion Papers 4892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Victor Ginsburgh & David Throsby, 2006.
"Handbook of the Eonomics of Art and Culture,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/152412, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Keith Acheson & Christopher Maule, 2004.
"Convention on Cultural Diversity,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 243-256, November.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, .
"Press advertising and the political differentiation of newspapers,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1561, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, Jean J & Laussel, Didier & Sonnac, Nathalie, 2002. " Press Advertising and the Political Differentiation of Newspapers," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 317-34.
- Richard van der Wurff & Jan van Cuilenburg, 2001. "Impact of Moderate and Ruinous Competition on Diversity: The Dutch Television Market," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 213-229.
- Patrick Cohendet & Arndt Sorge & Patrick Llerena, 1992. "Technological diversity and cohérence in Europe : an analytical overview," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 59(1), pages 9-26.
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004.
"Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, . "Programming and advertising competition in the broadcasting industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1873, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Martin L. Weitzman, 2000.
"Economic Profitability Versus Ecological Entropy,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(1), pages 237-263, February.
- Shu-Chu Sarrina Li & Chin-Chih Chiang, 2001. "Market Competition and Programming Diversity: A Study on the TV Market in Taiwan," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 105-119.
- Solow Andrew & Polasky Stephen & Broadus James, 1993. "On the Measurement of Biological Diversity," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 60-68, January.
- Francois Moreau & Stephanie Peltier, 2004. "Cultural Diversity in the Movie Industry: A Cross-National Study," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 123-143.
- Fernández Blanco, Víctor & Prieto Rodríguez,Juan, 2009. "Análisis de los hábitos de lectura como una decisión económica/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 113-138, Abril.
- Sjaak Braster & Jaap Dronkers, 2013. "The positive effects of ethnic diversity in class on the educational performance of pupils in a multi-ethnic European metropole," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1318, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Françoise Benhamou & Nathalie Moureau, 2007. "L'économiste et la question du goût. Intégration ou dénégation d'un concept ?," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00195113, HAL.
- Aday Hernandez & Juan Luis Jimenez, 2011. "Do supermarkets reduce the number of traditional bookshops? An empirical application to the textbook market in Spain," ACEI Working Paper Series AWP-02-2011, the Association for Cultural Economics International, revised Jul 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.