A Micro-Market Analysis of Tenure Choice Using the Logit Model
AbstractEmpirical studies on housing tenure choice have generally uncovered a multiplicity of factors that influence households in their decision to own using mostly national aggregate or cross-metropolitan data that often obscure intrametropolitan influences. In this aper we focus on these localized influences by investigating micro-locational and occupation-specific influences on the housing tenure choice behavior of college professors in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Our logit analysis of this behavior shows that employment-related and spatial forces exert a strong influence on their decision. We also found that the explanatory power of the micro-location variable incorporates some income effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 6 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kent, Richard J., 1984. "Housing tenure choice: Evidence from time series," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 195-209, March.
- Krumm, Ronald, 1987. "Intertemporal tenure choices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 263-275, November.
- Peter Linneman & Susan Wachter, 1989. "The Impacts of Borrowing Constraints on Homeownership," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 389-402.
- Eilbott, Peter & Binkowski, Edward S., 1985. "The determinants of SMSA homeownership rates," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 293-304, May.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- Keith Ray Ihlanfeldt, 1980. "An Intertemporal Empirical Analysis of the Renter's Decision to Purchase a Home," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 8(2), pages 180-197.
- Zorn, Peter M., 1988. "An analysis of household mobility and tenure choice: An empirical study of Korea," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 113-128, September.
- Jian Chen & David H. Downs, 2013. "Property Tax and Tenure Choice: Implications for China," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 323-343.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.