The demand for housing in Spain: an endogenous switching regression analysis
AbstractHousing demand in Spain has been studied by using data disaggregated into primary and secondary housing demands. It is found that demand for both types of housing area, indeed, related and that they are both considered necessities; thus, suggesting that their consumption ought to be modelled as a joint decision. Moreover, it is found that traditional determinants of housing demand affect primary and secondary home demands differently. These differences are attributable to the following economic rationales: need for asset holdings diversifications, relative high cost of home ownership versus rental in choice locations, and differences in land demand intensity across regions. In sum, the findings suggest that policy makers in Spain, contrary to popular beliefs, must consider secondary homes an integral part of households' accommodation need.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Duca, John V. & Gabriel, Stuart A., 1991.
"Credit rationing and the demand for owner-occupied housing,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 48-63, July.
- Stuart S. Rosenthal & John V. Duca & Stuart A. Gabriel, 1987. "Credit rationing and the demand for owner-occupied housing," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 79, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Huffman, Wallace E & Lange, Mark D, 1989.
"Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 471-80, August.
- Huffman, Wallace & Lange, Mark D., 1989. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making," Staff General Research Papers 10986, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Trost, Robert P., 1978. "Estimation of some limited dependent variable models with application to housing demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 357-382, December.
- Gary V. Engelhardt & Christopher J. Mayer, 1995.
"Intergenerational transfers, borrowing constraints, and saving behavior: evidence from the housing market,"
95-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Engelhardt, Gary V. & Mayer, Christopher J., 1998. "Intergenerational Transfers, Borrowing Constraints, and Saving Behavior: Evidence from the Housing Market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 135-157, July.
- Heien, Dale & Durham, Cathy, 1991. "A Test of the Habit Formation Hypothesis Using Household Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 189-99, May.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Sheiner Louise, 1995. "Housing Prices and the Savings of Renters," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 94-125, July.
- Plaut, Steven E., 1987. "The timing of housing tenure transition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 312-322, May.
- Goodman, Allen C. & Kawai, Masahiro, 1982. "Permanent income, hedonic prices, and demand for housing: New evidence," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 214-237, September.
- Henderson, J. Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1989. "Dynamic aspects of consumer decisions in housing markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 212-230, September.
- Mayo, Stephen K., 1981. "Theory and estimation in the economics of housing demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 95-116, July.
- Krumm, Ronald & Kelly, Austin, 1989. "Effects of homeownership on household savings," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 281-294, November.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ionnides, Yannis M, 1986. "Tenure Choice and the Demand for Housing," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210), pages 231-46, May.
- Henderson, J. Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1987. "Owner occupancy: Investment vs consumption demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 228-241, March.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "Multivariate Regression and Simultaneous Equation Models when the Dependent Variables Are Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 999-1012, November.
- Ioannides, Yannis M & Rosenthal, Stuart S, 1994. "Estimating the Consumption and Investment Demands for Housing and Their Effect on Housing Tenure Status," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 127-41, February.
- Zax, Jeffrey S., 1997. "Latent Demand for Urban Housing in the People's Republic of China," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 377-401, November.
- Engelhardt Gary V., 1994. "House Prices and the Decision to Save for Down Payments," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 209-237, September.
- Ohtake, F. & Horioka, C.Y., 1995. "Saving Motives in Japan," ISER Discussion Paper 0392, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Dynarski, Mark R & Sheffrin, Steven M, 1985. "Housing Purchases and Transitory Income: A Study with Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 195-204, May.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- Goodman, Allen C. & Kawai, Masahiro, 1986. "Functional form, sample selection, and housing demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 155-167, September.
- Bourassa Steven C., 1995. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice in Australia," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 161-175, March.
- Donald Cox & Tullio Japelli, 1993.
"The Effect Of Borrowing Constraints On Consumer Liabilities,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
228, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cox, Donald & Jappelli, Tullio, 1993. "The Effect of Borrowing Constraints on Consumer Liabilities," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 197-213, May.
- Ioannides, Yannis M., 1987. "Residential mobility and housing tenure choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 265-287.
- Breslaw, Jon & Irvine, Ian & Rahman, Abdul, 1996. "Instrument Choice: The Demand for Mortgages in Canada," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 282-302, May.
- Haurin, Donald R. & Gill, H. Leroy, 1987. "Effects of income variability on the demand for owner-occupied housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 136-150, September.
- Ming-Yuan Chen, 2006. "Managerial ownership and firm performance: an analysis using switching simultaneous-equations models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 161-181.
- Narayanan, Sudha, 2014. "Profits from participation in high value agriculture: Evidence of heterogeneous benefits in contract farming schemes in Southern India," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 142-157.
- Daniel Fernández-Kranz & Mark Hon, 2006. "A Cross-Section Analysis of the Income Elasticity of Housing Demand in Spain: Is There a Real Estate Bubble?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 449-470, June.
- Sudha Narayanan, 2012. "The Heterogeneous welfare impacts of participation in contract farming schemes: Evidence from Southern India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-019, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Nestor Gandelman, 2008.
"Female-Headed Households and Homeownership in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
3252, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Néstor Gandelman, 2008. "Female-Headed Households and Homeownership in Latin America," IDB Publications 43758, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Nestor Gandelman, 2008. "Hogares encabezados por mujeres y propiedad de la vivienda en América Latina," Research Department Publications 3253, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Marion Kohler & Anthony Rossiter, 2005. "Property Owners in Australia: A Snapshot," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2005-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.