A Note on the Optimal Selection and Weighting of Comparable Properties
AbstractThis paper reexamines the recommendation by Vandell (1991), Gau, Lai and Wang (1992, 1994) and Green (1994) for the use of the minimum variance and coefficient of variation criteria in the optimum selection of comparables. These authors under-emphasize the typical valuation scenario that involves extremely small samples. The analyst must rank the few available comparable properties and select the "best" to carry the most weight in the final estimate of value. Rank transformation regression is suggested as one approach that can be used to extract the buying trend. The commonly taught paired-sale analysis will remain as the industry tool until more accurate estimates of value are developed with small samples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 14 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben-Akiva, Moshe & Morikawa, Takayuki & Shiroishi, Fumiaki, 1992. "Analysis of the reliability of preference ranking data," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 149-164, March.
- Richard K. Green, 1994. "Optimal Comparable Weighting and Selection: A Comment," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 22(4), pages 647-654.
- George W. Gau & Tsong-Yue Lai & Ko Wang, 1992. "Optimal Comparable Selection and Weighting in Real Property Valuation: An Extension," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 107-123.
- Kerry D. Vandell, 1991. "Optimal Comparable Selection and Weighting in Real Property Valuation," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(2), pages 213-239.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.