Interest Rate Smoothing and "Calvo-Type" Interest Rate Rules: A Comment on Levine, McAdam, and Pearlman (2007)
AbstractIn a recent paper, Levine, McAdam, and Pearlman (2007) propose a new type of interest rate rule, which they denote a “Calvo-type” rule. The Calvo-type interest rate responds to the discounted sum of current and future rates of inflation. We show that a Calvo-type rule can be derived from a very different assumption than the one used by Levine, McAdam, and Pearlman (2007), namely a preference for interest rate smoothing. In addition to giving an alternative rationale for the Calvo-type rule, we provide additional empirical support for the specification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Journal of Central Banking in its journal International Journal of Central Banking.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Nicholas S. Magginas, 2006.
"Inflation Forecasts and the New Keynesian Phillips Curve,"
38, Bank of Greece.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Nicholas S. Magginas, 2008. "Inflation Forecasts and the New Keynesian Phillips Curve," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(2), pages 1-22, June.
- Paul Levine & Peter McAdam & Joseph Pearlman, 2007.
"Inflation-Forecast-Based Rules and Indeterminacy: A Puzzle and a Resolution,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 3(4), pages 77-110, December.
- Levine, Paul & McAdam, Peter & Pearlman, Joseph G., 2006. "Inflation forecast-based-rules and indeterminacy: a puzzle and a resolution," Working Paper Series 0643, European Central Bank.
- Vasco J. Gabriel & Paul Levine & Christopher Spencer, 2008.
"How forward-looking is the Fed? Direct estimates from a ‘Calvo-type’ rule,"
NIPE Working Papers
09/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Gabriel, Vasco J. & Levine, Paul & Spencer, Christopher, 2009. "How forward-looking is the Fed? Direct estimates from a 'Calvo-type' rule," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 92-95, August.
- Vasco Gabriel & Paul Levine & Christopher Spencer, 2008. "How forward-looking is the Fed? Direct estimates from a `Calvo-type' rule," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0508, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Hall, Alastair R. & Inoue, Atsushi, 2003.
"The large sample behaviour of the generalized method of moments estimator in misspecified models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 361-394, June.
- Alastair R. Hall & Atsushi Inoue, 2005. "The Large Sample Behaviour of the Generalized Method of Moments Estimator in Misspecified Models," Econometrics 0505002, EconWPA.
- Anderson, Gary & Moore, George, 1985. "A linear algebraic procedure for solving linear perfect foresight models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-252.
- Jondeau E. & Le Bihan H. & Galles C., 2004. "Assessing Generalized Method-of-Moments Estimates of the Federal Reserve Reaction Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 225-239, April.
- Eurilton Araújo & Débora Gouveia, 2013. "Calvo-type rules and the forward-looking behavior of inflation targeting central banks," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 2042-2051.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.