Financial market signals and banking supervision: are current practices consistent with research findings?
AbstractThe trend toward incorporating information derived from financial markets into the bank supervision process has gained momentum over the past several years. This in part reflects an evolution in the thinking about how private market information can contribute to the process. In light of the evolving view of the potential contributions of market information, this paper reviews the empirical evidence relevant to the usefulness of financial market information in the bank supervision process. This paper reviews the research on what information can be gleaned from the pricing of equity and debt securities issued by banking organizations. The weight of the research leaves little room for doubt that financial market signals reflect underlying bank risk and that market evaluations of the risk of individual banking organizations are strongly correlated with supervisory findings. The evidence on the extent to which market signals can augment the information set of bank supervisors is more subtle, but overall it demonstrates that financial market signals should play a role in the bank supervision process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert R. Bliss & Mark J. Flannery, 2000. "Market discipline in the governance of U.S. Bank Holding Companies: monitoring vs. influencing," Working Paper Series WP-00-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2002:i:may:p:75-107 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ito, Takatoshi & Harada, Kimie, 2004. "Credit Derivatives Premium as a New Japan Premium," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(5), pages 965-68, October.
- Douglas Evanoff & Larry Wall, 2001.
"Sub-debt Yield Spreads as Bank Risk Measures,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 121-145, October.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1987. "Subordinated debt as bank capital," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct 23.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1987. "Bank capital regulation and asset risk," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 20-40.
- Allen Berger & Sally Davies, 1994.
"The Information Content of Bank Examinations,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
94-24, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Goyal, Vidhan K., 2005. "Market discipline of bank risk: Evidence from subordinated debt contracts," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 318-350, July.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Frederick T. Furlong, 1988. "Changes in bank risk-taking," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 45-56.
- Douglas D. Evanoff & Larry D. Wall, 2001.
"Measures of the riskiness of banking organizations: Subordinated debt yields, risk-based capital, and examination ratings,"
2001-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Evanoff, Douglas D. & Wall, Larry D., 2002. "Measures of the riskiness of banking organizations: Subordinated debt yields, risk-based capital, and examination ratings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 989-1009, May.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- John S. Jordan & Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1999. "Impact of greater bank disclosure amidst a banking crisis," Working Papers 99-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Julapa Jagtiani & Catharine Lemieux, 2000. "Market discipline prior to failure," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Sep.
- Frederick T. Furlong, 1988. "Changes in bank risk," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar 25.
- Douglas D. Evanoff & Larry D. Wall, 2003.
"Subordinated debt and prompt corrective regulatory action,"
Working Paper Series
WP-03-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Douglas D. Evanoff & Larry D. Wall, 2002. "Subordinated debt and prompt corrective regulatory action," Working Paper 2002-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Billett, Matthew T. & Garfinkel, Jon A. & O'Neal, Edward S., 1998. "The cost of market versus regulatory discipline in banking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 333-358, June.
- Flannery, Mark J & Houston, Joel F, 1999. "The Value of a Government Monitor for U.S. Banking Firms," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 14-34, February.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2004.
"Determinants of Voluntary Bank Disclosure: Evidence from Japanese Shinkin Banks,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1135, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2003. "Determinants of voluntary bank disclosure: evidence from Japanese Shinkin banks," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 03-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Ellis, David M. & Flannery, Mark J., 1992. "Does the debt market assess large banks, risk? : Time series evidence from money center CDs," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 481-502, December.
- Kessler, Denis, 2008. "Insurance market mechanisms and government interventions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 4-14, January.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Madura, Jeff & Marciniak, Marek, 2012. "Bank capital and exposure to the financial crisis," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 64(5), pages 377-392.
- Fred Furlong & Simon Kwan, 2006. "Safe and sound banking, 20 years later: what was proposed and what has been adopted," Working Paper Series 2006-27, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Simon Kwan, 2006. "Safe & sound banking, 20 years later: what was proposed and what has been adopted," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.