Impact of greater bank disclosure amidst a banking crisis
AbstractBanking crises have continued to emerge in recent years, contributing to severe economic contractions in Japan, Russia, and Southeast Asia. In response, international organizations have advocated enhanced market discipline, encouraging countries to improve disclosure. One reason so little progress has been made is that neither the proponents nor the opponents of enchanted disclosure policies have persuasive empirical evidence to support their views on potential costs and benefits of such a policy. This paper fills that gap by examining the impact of requiring the release of supervisory information on troubled U.S. banks during a severe banking crisis. We find that improving disclosure at troubled U.S. banks during the banking crisis was not destabilizing and did provide conditions for market discipline to work more effectively. These findings support the public policy proposal of enhanced bank disclosure, even at a time when experiencing a banking crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Boston in its series Working Papers with number 99-1.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-05-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-1999-05-03 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-PKE-1999-05-03 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Sally M. Davies & Mark J. Flannery, 1998.
"Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-32, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N & Davies, Sally M & Flannery, Mark J, 2000. "Comparing Market and Supervisory Assessments of Bank Performance: Who Knows What When?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 641-67, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Sally M. Davies & Mark J. Flannery, 2000. "Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 641-670.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1992.
"Anatomy of a Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
3934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flannery, Mark J & Houston, Joel F, 1999. "The Value of a Government Monitor for U.S. Banking Firms," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 14-34, February.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Robert DeYoung & Mark J. Flannery & William W. Lang & Sorin M. Sorescu, 1998. "The informational advantage of specialized monitors: the case of bank examiners," Working Paper Series WP-98-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1998. "The East Asian Financial Crisis: Diagnosis, Remedies, Prospects," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(1), pages 1-90.
- Miller, Victoria, 1996. "Speculative currency attacks with endogenously induced commercial bank crises," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 383-403, June.
- Kashyap, Anil K. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1995.
"The impact of monetary policy on bank balance sheets,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 151-195, June.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994. "The Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Balance Sheets," NBER Working Papers 4821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Klingebiel, Daniela, 1996. "Bank insolvencies : cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1620, The World Bank.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2004.
"Determinants of Voluntary Bank Disclosure: Evidence from Japanese Shinkin Banks,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1135, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2003. "Determinants of voluntary bank disclosure: evidence from Japanese Shinkin banks," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 03-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Simon Kwan, 2006. "Safe & sound banking, 20 years later: what was proposed and what has been adopted," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- R. Alton Gilbert & Mark D. Vaughan, 2000.
"Do depositors care about enforcement actions?,"
2000-020, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- anonymous, 2000. "Improving public disclosure in banking," Staff Studies 173, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2001.
"Preventing Systemic Crises through Bank Transparency,"
776, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Ari Hyytinen & Tuomas Takalo, 2004. "Preventing Systemic Crises through Bank Transparency," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 33(2), pages 257-273, 07.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2003. "Preventing systemic crises through bank transparency," Research Discussion Papers 25/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Robard Williams, 2006. "Financial market signals and banking supervision: are current practices consistent with research findings?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 17-29.
- Fred Furlong & Simon Kwan, 2006. "Safe and sound banking, 20 years later: what was proposed and what has been adopted," Working Paper Series 2006-27, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Solomon Tadesse, 2005. "Banking Fragility and Disclosure: International Evidence," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp748, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- John S. Jordan, 1999. "Pricing bank stocks: the contribution of bank examinations," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 39-53.
- repec:fip:fedfpb:2004-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2000.
"Enhancing Bank Transparency: A Re-assessment,"
Research Discussion Papers
10/2000, Bank of Finland.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2002. "Enchancing Bank Transparency : A Re-assessment," Discussion Papers 828, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Hyytinen, A. & Takalo, T., 2000. "Enhancing Bank Transparency: a Re-assessment," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 492, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.