Modelling users’ behaviour of a carsharing program: Application of a joint hazard and zero inflated dynamic ordered probability model
AbstractThis paper presents an econometric model for the behaviour of carsharing users. The econometric model is developed to jointly forecast membership duration, the decision to become an active member in a particular month, and the frequency of monthly usage of active members. The model is estimated using the membership directory and monthly transaction data of a carsharing program, ‘Communauto Inc.’, based in Montréal, Canada. The model shows a high degree of fit to the observed dataset and provides many behavioural details of carsharing users. The results are instructive to carsharing planners in devising efficient policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaheen, Susan A., 1999. "Dynamics in Behavioral Adaptation to a Transportation Innovation: A Case Study of Carlink-A Smart Carsharing System," Institute of Transportation Studies, Research Reports, Working Papers, Proceedings qt9w53q5xq, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Iliescu, Dan C. & Garrow, Laurie A. & Parker, Roger A., 2008. "A hazard model of US airline passengers' refund and exchange behavior," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 229-242, March.
- Harris, Mark N. & Zhao, Xueyan, 2007. "A zero-inflated ordered probit model, with an application to modelling tobacco consumption," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1073-1099, December.
- Stillwater, Tai & Mokhtarian, Patricia L & Shaheen, Susan, 2008. "Carsharing and the Built Environment: A GIS-Based Study of One U.S. Operator," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt2wj7q6cm, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Firnkorn, Jörg, 2012. "Triangulation of two methods measuring the impacts of a free-floating carsharing system in Germany," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1654-1672.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.