The effect of social interactions on travel behaviour: An exploratory study using a laboratory experiment
AbstractThis study demonstrates the use of a laboratory experiment for investigating the effects of social interaction on the dynamics of travellers' choice behaviour. A small-scale exploratory experiment is carried out. Analyses are conducted using statistical tests, descriptive methods and learning models to investigate the net and gross effects of social interaction behaviour, as well as the direction of change of each individual's behaviour. The study shows how a laboratory experiment can enhance understanding of the effects of social interaction on travellers' behaviour at both the system and individual traveller levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theo Arentze & Harry Timmermans, 2008. "Social networks, social interactions, and activity-travel behavior: a framework for microsimulation," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 35(6), pages 1012-1027, November.
- Ernst Fehr & Simon Gaechter, .
"Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments,"
IEW - Working Papers
010, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Simon Gachter & Ernst Fehr, 2000. "Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 980-994, September.
- Ernst Fehr & Simon Gaechter, 1999. "Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments," CESifo Working Paper Series 183, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ayako Taniguchi & Satoshi Fujii, 2007. "Promoting Public Transport Using Marketing Techniques in Mobility Management and Verifying their Quantitative Effects," Transportation, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 37-49, January.
- Pingle, Mark, 1995. "Imitation versus rationality: An experimental perspective on decision making," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 281-315.
- Isaac, R Mark & Walker, James M, 1988. "Communication and Free-Riding Behavior: The Voluntary Contribution Mechanism," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(4), pages 585-608, October.
- Camerer, Colin F & Hogarth, Robin M, 1999.
"The Effects of Financial Incentives in Experiments: A Review and Capital-Labor-Production Framework,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 19(1-3), pages 7-42, December.
- Camerer, Colin F. & Hogarth, Robin M., 1999. "The Effects of Financial Incentives in Experiments: A Review and Capital-Labor-Production Framework," Working Papers 1059, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Fischbacher, Urs & Gachter, Simon & Fehr, Ernst, 2001.
"Are people conditionally cooperative? Evidence from a public goods experiment,"
Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 397-404, June.
- Urs Fischbacher & Simon Gaechter & Ernst Fehr, . "Are People Conditionally Cooperative? Evidence from a Public Goods Experiment," IEW - Working Papers 016, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Mahmassani, Hani S. & Jou, Rong-Chang, 2000. "Transferring insights into commuter behavior dynamics from laboratory experiments to field surveys," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 243-260, May.
- Offerman, Theo & Sonnemans, Joep, 1998. "Learning by experience and learning by imitating successful others," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 559-575, March.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
- Shaheen, Susan, 2004. "Dynamics in Behavioral Adaptation to a Transportation Innovation: A Case Study of Carlinkâ€“A Smart Carsharing System," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt87n6958h, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.